Oktoberfest Brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the link, perfect timing!
My wife was looking for a traditional lye recipe, and I actually ordered some food grade NaOH just a few hours ago.
I've been using this recipe for years and I can say it's on point with the ones I had in Germany. If you use the malt powder, which I highly recommend, get the diastatic malt powder.....another tip i learned from my grandfather, who owned a butchershop/bakery in Germany, is to freeze the pretzels after a 20 minute rise period. This is done so the pretzels will hold their shape during the lye dipping process....enjoy

P PolishDeli , I finally got around to trying your Brat recipe tonight with the left over trimmings from my latest salami project. I had all the ingredients on hand having just picked some lemons off my sisters tree in anticipation of having to toss my Pistachio and Lemon salami. But the pH finally came down, so They are good to continue drying. I did use the leftover heavy cream I had on hand from the previous batch of brats I made. I also used up a bunch of hog casing shorts trimmed off the ends from other sausage making projects. So this was the perfect recipe to use.

Flavor is spot on. Delicate, balanced, simple yet elegant. Just the right touch of lemon zest. Kudos my friend....I will make these again.

Reactions: PolishDeli
Happy Oktoberfest all! Bratwurst are in order. Recipe and pictures below:

Ingredients:
2500g Boston butt
3 Whole eggs
27mL Whole milk
50g Salt
5.5g White pepper
3g Fresh lemon zest
1.5g Mace
1.5g Dry ginger powder
1.5 Cardamom powder

Grind Pork using a 3mm plate
View attachment 465550

Whisk the eggs and milk together, then mix it into the meat and spices
View attachment 465551

Stuff into hog casings
View attachment 465552

Vacuum sealed
View attachment 465553

Sous vide to 155°F and refrigerate/freeze
View attachment 465554

Pan fry.
Served with sauerkraut, mustard, and home made pretzels.
View attachment 465555

Thanks for looking!
PolishDeli, Thanks for the link. Definitely going to try this soon. Love the Polish Pottery in the pic. We have a nice collection also. Love the stuff, especially for baking. They all clean up real well also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky