ok on to the next build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am really want to see one completed. 

Dave, thanks for the heads up.  They told me as long as I don't use it inside I am good.  But that is a great idea, a house that smells like a smoker.
banana_smiley.gif

Those are cool!!!

Like I said , big enough for a whole slab of ribs. I would like the cooking grate to be 24" x 12" approx. with another smaller rack above.Maybe

Geez, my steel guys is taking forever to get me prices. Im going to hold off using the propane tanks if I can get new steel. The pipe only comes in min. wall thickness of 1/4" and I think that Id rather have 3/16" for this project. Plus they want me to buy 21 ft length.    Right now I am waiting to see how much it would cost to have them roll a sheet of 3/16" plate for me.. Hopefully that wont be to bad.

Just want to get started building!!!!   I am thinking now more like 12" X 20" might be better for cooking grate.

Know what ya mean... I hate a project I can't start because of someone else. Did I tell ya what my pipe yard quoted me? 20" was 

$48/ft and a major cut charge to boot.. Hope you find what you are lookin for...

I have all kinds of 5 inch through 16 inch pipe in my scrap. If you want to drive up to South Dakota i could hook you up!

Last edited:
ok, for this project, since compact design is the object, here is what Im thinking, install the firebox under the cooking chamber  and conect with pipe.

Please give me feedback on what you think the pro's and cons would be of doing it like this.
a21a402c_reversemini.png

here's my price on the plate, a little too high, looks like I will be using the propane tanks. Good news, the forkift guy down the street says he has all I can use.

We can offer 3/16” plate

Rolled to 14.125” o.d. x 8’ long tack welded.

362.00 each

4-5 day delivery

I like the firebox 'under' the cook chamber. Should draft like a son-of-a-gun, on a handful of coals. I was always told the only stupid question was an unasked one.... so here goes... Why are you sloping the RF Plate? Are ya looking to drain that much? Just asking cause I haven't welded mine in yet.

IF you got a forklift guy supplying you with old propane bottles, these dudes could make great smaller smokers.

nekramp  - 16" pipe makes a handy smoker. That's what I've used for the last 20 years or so. Great size for a backyard smoker. I sure wish I was closer to you.

I talked to a gent today who is friends with a propane distributor. He's gonna see if there are any smaller tanks available. I don't want to get any bigger than what I'm working on now.

rib wiz

got to your local junk yard and look for a natural compressed gas cylinder they work good. i got mine out of a chevy malibu. i can do 2-3 pork buts in there and it will also fit a full brisket in it also. 2-3 chickens fit it fine. it works great. and heats up in no time.

put the whole smoker together for $100 used scraps from around the shop.

Reactions: mike johnson
Looks nice,

I already have 33lb and 20 lb propane tanks, Going to do something simular to what you have, just thinking I might have a little less distance between the cooking chamber and the firebox. The whole concept behind this build was something compact for my Townhouse, and a few Christmas presents for my friends.( They also want something compact) 

Thanks for sharing your pics. Helps me out to see some of the smaller builds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky