Oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nick

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Louisiana
I got some OAK that's been split for about 2 months now. It's stored in a closed garage. Temp in there probably gets in the 90's during the summer. How much longer do I need to wait before I can start smoking with it?
Thanks.

Id wait a few more months. Even after the ends of the wood start to crack and darken, it can still hold a lot of moisture inside.

I agree 5-6 months minimum. You could probably set an old fan on low in front of the pile if you are in a hurry, or just buy some lump, almost all lump charcoal is oak.
cool.gif

What he said. is it white or red oak?

Richoso1, It looks to be red..has a reddish hue to it.
I don't need it right now so it can cure on it's own but I was just wondering the time frame. Thanks to all that replied.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky