not much smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Andyramage

Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
hi y'all, I'm new to smoking and I bought a dyna-glo electric smoker. I've smoked ribs 3 times now which have all turned out pretty good but my problem is that it doesn't generate a lot of smoke, is there something I'm doing wrong? Again, im new so any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to the site, on the electric smokers the chips don't normally last long and have to be reloaded every 30/45 minutes depending on how your unit is made, there are pellet tubes and trays that work well to add smoke, go to the electric smoker section for some great tips to help you out. The white smoke WR is talking about is moisture and you get it most of the time with wood splits and not electric smokers. I for 1 don't say its bad either way.

Reactions: JC in GB
Most of the electric smoker guys use an AMNPS amazing smoker tube with pellets to help generate more of a smoke flavor.
Al

I have the Dyna-glo 30" electric, and actually think I like it better than several MES smokers I've had over the years. I did notice that it seemed to not be putting out much smoke, like you mentioned. My simple quick fix? I dug thru my box of nuts and bolts and ect, and found a metal spacer like you slide over a bolt. It's the perfect size to stand on it's end on the bottom of the smoker, and it touches the element slightly. It lifts the element just a teeny bit, puts it closer to the wood tray, and that solved my problem, now it smokes fine. Basically find something metal to slightly 'lift' the element closer to the wood tray. If you get too much smoke, then find something a tad shorter. I also nuke the contents of my wood tray for a minute before firing up, that helps too. Love that little smoker!

I have the Dyna-glo 30" electric, and actually think I like it better than several MES smokers I've had over the years. I did notice that it seemed to not be putting out much smoke, like you mentioned. My simple quick fix? I dug thru my box of nuts and bolts and ect, and found a metal spacer like you slide over a bolt. It's the perfect size to stand on it's end on the bottom of the smoker, and it touches the element slightly. It lifts the element just a teeny bit, puts it closer to the wood tray, and that solved my problem, now it smokes fine. Basically find something metal to slightly 'lift' the element closer to the wood tray. If you get too much smoke, then find something a tad shorter. I also nuke the contents of my wood tray for a minute before firing up, that helps too. Love that little smoker!
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky