Non-Fermented and Firm/Dry Beef Snack Stick: Any Advice to add "snap" to my sticks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, darn. Hanging for 4-5 days worked OK for the fermented sausage, firming up a little, but unfortunately the flavor isn't what I want. It totally failed for the non-fermented one. Here we have one that is fridge dried in pink butcher paper on left, and the one hanging at around room temp on the right.

1710883313705.png

The one on the left tastes good, and the one on the right doesn't. As if the fat became more liquid-like. Did the fat become rancid in that period of time?

In any case, I'm somewhat back to the drawing board. I tossed out the hanging sticks, and I'm letting those in pink butcher paper remain longer in the fridge.

If your getting fat flow from hanging sticks to dry then I would say.
You either smear the fat by over working, bad casings, not enough protein extraction. I never get fat rancid from 2-3-4 day hang.

Ok, darn. Hanging for 4-5 days worked OK for the fermented sausage, firming up a little, but unfortunately the flavor isn't what I want. It totally failed for the non-fermented one. Here we have one that is fridge dried in pink butcher paper on left, and the one hanging at around room temp on the right.

View attachment 692044

The one on the left tastes good, and the one on the right doesn't. As if the fat became more liquid-like. Did the fat become rancid in that period of time?

In any case, I'm somewhat back to the drawing board. I tossed out the hanging sticks, and I'm letting those in pink butcher paper remain longer in the fridge.
What temp were these hanging at? I've never lost fat after a cook by hanging 3-5 days. Possible you cooked too hot and rendered fat during the cook? I finally settled on a schedule similar to 2 Guys & A Cooler where you hang to dry for about an hour at 100 to dry out casings, then introduce smoke and slowly up the temp to 165 over several hours until internal is what you want. Or maybe like poster above said, didn't achieve proper protein extraction before stuffing. I fought with trying to get the snap I wanted for a couple years, then finally settled on air drying for at least 3 days. One horrific test I did was trying to speed that process up by having a fan on them to dry out quicker. The casings were so hard and gross. Only batch I've ever thrown out.

If your getting fat flow from hanging sticks to dry then I would say.
You either smear the fat by over working, bad casings, not enough protein extraction. I never get fat rancid from 2-3-4 day hang.
Thanks for your feedback. Actually, looking at the dates, they have been hanging for 7 days now -- could that be it? I wanted to fully test that approach to see if they'd ever get more firm, even if I ruined them in the process.

As for the fat smearing theory, I think I'm OK on this point...

I try to grind as cold as possible to minimize smearing, and only a single coarse grind should help with that I'd think. As for protein extraction, the mix does stick on my hand without falling (so I think that's enough).

Here's a picture of the meat right before it was stuffed. What do you think?
1710885774952.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. Actually, looking at the dates, they have been hanging for 7 days now -- could that be it? I wanted to fully test that approach to see if they'd ever get more firm, even if I ruined them in the process.

As for the fat smearing theory, I think I'm OK on this point...

I try to grind as cold as possible to minimize smearing, and only a single coarse grind should help with that I'd think. As for protein extraction, the mix does stick on my hand without falling (so I think that's enough).

Here's a picture of the meat right before it was stuffed. What do you think?
View attachment 692090
I know I'm a nobody on this forum since I just joined today, but I make a lot of sticks and I think you need to mix longer. How long did you hand mix, assuming that's what you did?

Reactions: geostriata
I know I'm a nobody on this forum since I just joined today, but I make a lot of sticks and I think you need to mix longer. How long did you hand mix, assuming that's what you did?
Welcome to the forums! I used a paddle attachment on the stand mixer, for about 5 minutes. I thought you get protein extraction when it sticks to your hand upside-down. Maybe even more so? Like if you shake your hand then it doesn't fall off? I'll try a new batch with a longer mix.

Reactions: agcrock2005
Welcome to the forums! I used a paddle attachment on the stand mixer, for about 5 minutes. I thought you get protein extraction when it sticks to your hand upside-down. Maybe even more so? Like if you shake your hand then it doesn't fall off? I'll try a new batch with a longer mix.
Yes. It should be pretty hard to get off of your hands. At least in my experience, that's what I aim for. Very sticky when I move from mixing to stuffing.

Ok, just got my next batch on the way. Instead of a 5 minute mix, I did an eight minute mix. It stuck on my glove pretty well, but I could still shake the meat off.
1710955680477.png

Then I stuffed as usual, and linked it into about 12 inch segments:
1710955732419.png

Then I hung in the smoker. Normally I just rest them on racks, but I decided to hang them this time to see if it makes a difference. I found these magnet hooks on amazon that worked great for that:

1710955799535.png

Cooked 1hr at 105, 1hr at 125, 1hr at 140, and then set to 150 and removed until IT is 145 (since my target beef stick is made in the USA, I believe they hit an IT of 145 for Ecoli regulations).

Lastly, I separated them into three experiments:

1710955840712.png

Group A - Wrapped in pink butcher paper and resting in fridge for 5 days. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge 's recommendation.
Group B - Wrapped in pink butcher paper resting in fridge overnight, then reheating at 140 for 90 minutes, and then back in fridge for the remainder of the time until 5 days. This "fully baked" approach is the best results I've had so far in my experiments from 2021.
Group C - Hanging at room temp for 5 days. BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker 's recommendation.

Will compare the results and post here in 5 days or so.

What temp were these hanging at? I've never lost fat after a cook by hanging 3-5 days. Possible you cooked too hot and rendered fat during the cook? I finally settled on a schedule similar to 2 Guys & A Cooler where you hang to dry for about an hour at 100 to dry out casings, then introduce smoke and slowly up the temp to 165 over several hours until internal is what you want. Or maybe like poster above said, didn't achieve proper protein extraction before stuffing. I fought with trying to get the snap I wanted for a couple years, then finally settled on air drying for at least 3 days. One horrific test I did was trying to speed that process up by having a fan on them to dry out quicker. The casings were so hard and gross. Only batch I've ever thrown out.
These were hanging between 55-70F. I tried to hang them inside, but it made the house smell like smoke so I moved them to the garage, which is insulated. I actually followed the 2 Guys & A Cooler approach for my fermented variety, but I don't usually take it to 165.

Two additional things to note:
1. Following the 2 Guys cooking schedule, I noticed my sticks would stall a bit around 120IT. When I turn on the cold smoker, it helps, but then the sticks are too smoky. So, instead, I put a fan in there, which seems to help airflow without taxing the heating element too much (i.e., when baffles fully open). Using the fan, I get to IT in about 3.5 hours instead of 7-8 or so.

2. These are 15mm casings, filled with a 10mm tube. These are a smaller diameter than most I see around here. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, but just wanted to mention that.

Just kicked off a batch now. In case anyone was curious, here's my recipe. My process is to go by weight as much as possible so that I can easily scale the recipe to any size of ground meat. This works well with my process where I make jerky, then take the scraps and use what's left over for snack sticks. Where possible, I'll try to indicate a volume measurement (but it'll be less precise):

Geostriata's Pepperoni Snap Sticks

For every pound of ground meat:
  • LEM's Backwood's Pepperoni Seasoning: 19g (~1tbsp + 3/4tsp)
  • Cure #1: 1.1g (~1/4tsp)
  • MSG: 2.5g (~1/2tsp)
  • Ground Red Pepper: 6g (~1TBSP)
  • Sodium Erythorbate: 0.3g (~1/10 TSP)
  • Liquid Smoke: 3g (~1/2tsp)
  • Water: 3oz
Here's the steps:
  1. Take all of your pepperoni seasoning and put it through a coffee grinder. Then put it back in the bag for later reuse. You want the anise/fennel to be smaller to help with consistent flavor.
  2. Create an 80/20 single medium grind from semi-frozen beef brisket pieces. Weigh the resulting grind (in lbs) and multiply the above recipe by that number.
  3. Place the water and liquid smoke in a cup, add the weighed out ingredients, and blend (I use an immersion blender). Put in fridge.
  4. In your meat mixer or kitchenaid with a paddle attachment, add the grind and mix for 8 minutes.
  5. Load in your stuffer, make your links, and put in the dehydrator for one hour at 125F.
  6. Raise temp to 140 for 1 hour (ramp up to help with collagen/meat binding)
  7. Raise temp to 155 for 2 hours
  8. Raise temp to 160 for 2 hours (or until internal temperature is at 160)
  9. Lower temp to 140 for 8 hours (to complete drying).
  10. Remove from dehydrator, quickly spray with cold water, then leave in fridge for an hour. You can take a sample now.
  11. Flavor will continue to improve for the next two days as you leave them uncovered in the fridge. Then vacuum pack and you're good to go!
View attachment 497593View attachment 497594View attachment 497595

That's it for now! Will post how it turns out tomorrow after it's rested in the fridge for about an hour.
Nice!

Ok, just got my next batch on the way. Instead of a 5 minute mix, I did an eight minute mix. It stuck on my glove pretty well, but I could still shake the meat off.
View attachment 692169

Then I stuffed as usual, and linked it into about 12 inch segments:
View attachment 692170

Then I hung in the smoker. Normally I just rest them on racks, but I decided to hang them this time to see if it makes a difference. I found these magnet hooks on amazon that worked great for that:

View attachment 692171

Cooked 1hr at 105, 1hr at 125, 1hr at 140, and then set to 150 and removed until IT is 145 (since my target beef stick is made in the USA, I believe they hit an IT of 145 for Ecoli regulations).

Lastly, I separated them into three experiments:

View attachment 692172

Group A - Wrapped in pink butcher paper and resting in fridge for 5 days. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge 's recommendation.
Group B - Wrapped in pink butcher paper resting in fridge overnight, then reheating at 140 for 90 minutes, and then back in fridge for the remainder of the time until 5 days. This "fully baked" approach is the best results I've had so far in my experiments from 2021.
Group C - Hanging at room temp for 5 days. BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker 's recommendation.

Will compare the results and post here in 5 days or so.
I think the reason you're not getting the protein extraction needed is because there's too much liquid in your mix. Your top picture shows the meat looking pretty wet. What percentage liquid do you use? I use 5-7% liquid to my total meat weight for reference when doing sticks. Sausages I do 10%.

I think the reason you're not getting the protein extraction needed is because there's too much liquid in your mix. Your top picture shows the meat looking pretty wet. What percentage liquid do you use? I use 5-7% liquid to my total meat weight for reference when doing sticks. Sausages I do 10%.
You're right! This batch was 1.53lb meat and 3.83oz of water added. So that puts me at about 15.6% water by weight. I'll adjust my recipe and try a new batch at 1oz/lb.

Reactions: agcrock2005
Snack Stick Drying Method Experiment

As agcrock2005 agcrock2005 pointed out, I was adding too much water to my mix, so that was a flaw in the recipe which impacts drying. So I started the experiment over with 1oz H20 per lb. Also added a fermentation into the contest, since it had noticeable impact on drying. My thinking is to starve the LHP-DRY a little bit by only adding 1.5g per lb of dextrose this time to reduce tang.

Group 1 - Fermented with LHP-DRY @ 90F & 90% humidity for 23 hours before going in smoker.
Group 2 - Non-fermented. Left in fridge in pink paper bag for 23 hours before going in smoker.
Group A - Bloom room temp 2 hrs, pink butcher paper dry in fridge 5 days. @ SmokinEdge SmokinEdge 's rec.
Group B - Bloom room temp 2 hrs, pink butcher paper dry in fridge 1 days. Another cook at 140 for 90 minutes, then back in fridge for 4 more days.
Group C - Hanging at room temp for 5 days. @ BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker 's rec.

Starting with the grind. Coarse, then a second fine grind for 1/3rd of the meat. Thinking this will get me the lovely flavor pockets of the coarse grind, but maybe with better meat binding.

1711077378769.png

Since the mix is where I messed up last time, I'll show some more details here. I wanted to keep everything cool as possible while mixing, so I got everything set up while the meat was in the fridge. Non-fermented on the left (season/cure, water, liquid smoke) and fermented on the right with an extra dish of dextrose.

1711077505263.png

I used the paddle mixer 9 minutes this time, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides and ensure everything is mixed thoroughly. It was sticky at the end.

1711077606795.png

Stuffed into 12mm collagen casings using my jerky gun. It's more work, but I feel like I have more control with this approach. This time I split it into two-foot segments for easier hanging:

1711077757914.png

Non-fermented goes in fridge for 23hrs. Fermented goes in my humidity/temp controlled beer freezer at 90F 90% RH.

1711077851559.png

After 23 hours, I labelled them (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) to indicate their type and put them in the smoker at 105 for an hour (completing the 24hrs ferment cycle as well for LHP-DRY). I then weighed a sample from each group so I can measure water loss later. The fermented one was already firming up a good deal!

As before, using the simple magnetic hooks to hang on my Masterbuilt electric smoker:

1711077979165.png

Then smoked at 125 for 1.5 hrs, then 135, then 145. Possibly due to the fan I have in there circulating, the temp of the sausage very closely matched the temp of the smoker. As such, I couldn't really follow the 2 guys 1 cooler cooking schedule since my IT was already at my target of 145. I'm paranoid about fat-out, so I decided to take them out rather than to get them too hot.

1711078208732.png

Another cool thing about those magnetic hooks, is that it makes it really easy to hang em in my insulated garage (which is at ~65F).

1711078276037.png

Will post results in 5 days.

Results after two days: (for the prior experiment, where I added too much water to the mix)
1711153619509.png

Group A: Pink Butcher bag two days in fridge
Group B: Pink butcher bag, recook @140 for 90mins, then back in fridge
Group C: Hanging Indoors
Far Right: Target Beef Stick

A, B, and C all tasted great, but also all failed the snap test. I tried to devise a consistent way to test for snap and found that if I wrapped a rubber band twice and pushed it around the link, it would break my target in two. So I think this is a consistent and repeatable test. (You can see how group B reacted, and A and C I tested elsewhere but decided to eat the test before I got a picture.

BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker - My wife and I just did a blind taste test. Both of us voted C as having the best texture and flavor. It still failed the snap test, but it also was a tad firmer. So it looks like your recommendation wins out so far.

Last edited:
I aborted the experiment today. Despite my positive impressions yesterday, Group C1 (non-fermented hung at room temp) took a turn downhill and Group C2 (fermented hung at room temp) became immediately inedible.

I did discover a good tip. If you feel you've overdried your link, put it in a ziplock and back in the fridge. It re-equalizes moisture. Group C1 recovered a little bit after doing this (but still not as good as it was yesterday).

I've now tried 4 different batches hung at room temp, and all of them ended the same way: The sticks darkened, flavor was "off", and the fat turned into grease. Even touching these guys leaves grease all over your hands:
1711247043610.png

Here are the final drying scores (weighed immediately after smoking):
* A1 - Fridge in Pink Bag (Non-Fermented): 109.16g to 94.25g (14% moisture loss)
* A2 - Fridge in Pink Bag (Fermented):
108.38g to 88.44g (18.5% moisture loss)
* B1 - Fridge in Pink Bag (Non-Fermented): Ate this one. Whoops.
* B2 - Fridge in Pink Bag (Fermented): 87.91g to 65.69g (25% moisture loss)
* C1 - Hung Indoors Room Temp (Non-Fermented): 110.09g to 76.05g (31% moisture loss)
* C2 - Hung Indoors Room Temp (Fermented): 99.8g to 65.73g (34.2% moisture loss)

1711247632267.png

My conclusions:
* For a period of time, the links hung at room temp taste better than the other links. Possibly this is because the other links need more time to settle after being pulled from the fridge, or possibly there is a good reason for an "extended bloom."
* Hanging the links helps drying a great deal. (C groups consistently dryer than A and B). I did manage to almost get a link from C1 to pass the snap test.
* Fermentation definitely gets it dryer (the "2" groups were much dryer than "1" groups). Note, my pH was measured at 4.55.
* Reheating the links (group B dryer than group A) does marginally help drying, but possibly extending the cook would do the same.
* Unless there's some sort of unknown flaw in my steps, hanging the links at room temp (65-75F and 60-70% RH) is definitely bad after a certain period of time. (This was just two days). I'm guessing the fat is oxidizing? I read an article on "cool drying" today, and the elevated temperatures definitely have downsides.

So I just cooked up another batch today. I'll be hanging them in my temp & humidity controlled fridge to replicate the "room hang", but without the higher temperatures.

1711248074463.png

Last edited:
Reactions: slavikborisov
i really enjoy reading this incredible journey! looking forward to your results!
Thanks slavikborisov slavikborisov , that means a lot! I was worried that I might be annoying folks by not letting the thread die out and posting updates on the thread without a solution. But if you'd like an update, here it is!

First, I studied my mixing approach. Instead of using the rule "stop when meat sticks to your hand when held upside down and pulls apart with 'threads'", I just ran the mixer for 8 mins. So when possible under-extraction was mentioned earlier, I made that worse! When I use the above rule, I stop mixing after like 4 mins, lol. So I was definitely over mixing. Not sure that explains why room temp hangs taste bad though...

Then, I read the Mariansky book to learn more about drying and sausage making. Two key things I've learned is (1) Good fats vs. Bad Fats, and (2) Principles of Drying.

The first part helped me to make a solid improvement to my sausages by ensuring that I trim the "bad" soft fat from Brisket, but keep the hard fat (I'll try pork back fat next). In addition, I save 20% of the hard fat in the freezer and manually chop it and add to my mix. Helps give these wonderful flavor chunks to the sausage (coarse grinds also help):

1712175626396.png

In terms of drying, the key thing I learned is about airflow and gradual moisture loss. Moisture loss is a function of air flow, humidity, temperature, and time. Set those parameters incorrectly and you get fat-out or a failure to fully dry the stick (since the exterior has hardened and prevents further moisture loss) or various other problems. In short, you can't dry a beef stick like you dry beef jerky.

So since I have humidity and temperature dialed in on my drying chamber, I set out to tackle the airflow part. Mariansky recommends a schedule of: (1) 0.8 - 1m/s first week, (2) 0.5m/s second week, and (3) 0.1-0.3m/s third week and beyond. I bought an anemometer that claims to measure at that level: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TS8LF3L and gave it a go.

It enabled me to cringe at my past mistakes (trying to dry w/ a box fan, lol) and also to dial in the airflow in my drying chamber:

1712176409180.png

Since the meter has a bit of trouble reading below 0.3m/s, I put a big fan in there to temporarily get high speeds and calculated % airspeed loss over distance. I then put a high flow filter in front of the fan and noted how it reduces airflow and also helps spread it evenly over an area.

Using the above approach, I put smaller fans in front of the filter and got what I felt was a somewhat consistent 0.5-1m/s on the first part of my rack and 0.1-0.3m/s on the second part. So my process is to start on the first rack (closest to filter) and then move to second after a week.

So I made a new batch (batch #32). In this batch, I broke out three sticks and tried three different methods:
  1. Wet Dehydrator - Find out what setting on dehydrator gets sticks to 145IT. Set dehydrator at that setting, and wet the sticks every 30 minutes to keep outside dry. Stop after 40% weight loss. I lost the weight. Part of it was drying, part was fat, but the stick was bad. Took about 6hrs to lose 40% weight.
  2. Hanging Room Temp (~73F, 70%RH, Room Airflow) - Weight (initial) 53.38g -> 43.63g (cook) -> 34.61g (hang). Total loss: 35.1%. Again, this caused the stick to get darker, have off flavors, and generally oily. Despite losing much more weight than #3, this was a bad snack stick.
  3. Hanging Drying Chamber (~55F, 75% RH, 0.8-1m/s flow) - Weight (initial) 49.24g -> 40.09g (cook) -> 34.06g (hang). Total loss: 29.2%. The stick was less dry, but it still tastes good. It's not what I want (see target in center). I still can't get those wrinkles... maybe after more time.
1712177210075.png

I also tried beer instead of water in that batch... never again. I want to taste beef and not stale beer.

I then created a new batch (batch #33) to try to test the difference between Fine-T collagen and sheep casings. The theory being that since these are both more permeable than my current collagen casings, then that could lead to better drying in the future.

The Fine-T casings were 2mm wider (at 17mm) sheep casings were much bigger (at 19mm-21mm), so that's a confounding variable there, but the experiment should still be useful.

1712178851688.png

Right now I have these in my drying chamber (75% RH/55F) with one Fine-T sacrificial piece hanging at room temp out of curiosity (I'm not wasting my sheep sticks! Those were hard to make!)

Lastly, I sought to find a way to measure relative Aw of my results. This is based on an FDA approach using synthetic-hair hygrometers (https://www.fda.gov/inspections-com...tion-technical-guides/water-activity-aw-foods)

I get the same volume of beef stick and slice them in half. Add in the hygrometer (you can get these for 3$ on aliexpress) vacuum seal for only like 2 seconds. You want the same amount of air in each bag (this works in my chamber vac, but possibly not a bag sealer). Then you wait ~5hrs. As you can see, my target stick is ~67% and my stick is ~77%. So still a ways to go.

1712179251652.png

The idea being that the Aw denominator cancels itself out if you're using two bags filled with the same amount of the same air. (I tried the same approach with a bag and pure distilled water, but I couldn't get that to work reliably). Still, a useful solution to ballpark relative Aw for only $6.

In sum:

So I'm sort of where I've been for ages! I can make a good snack stick, but I can't make it both dryer and better! I'm hoping that with more time in the drying chamber 55F/75%RH, I'll start to see those wrinkles! But I think probably not... :(

So I'm still trying to figure out:
1. What's going on with room temp hangs? Why does it start tasting/looking bad after 3 days? This is cured and cooked meat!
2. Why can't I get better wrinkles?

Hopefully the dry chamber batches (shown with anemometer) will start looking better in a week or so. Will post if so!

Thanks slavikborisov slavikborisov , that means a lot! I was worried that I might be annoying folks by not letting the thread die out and posting updates on the thread without a solution. But if you'd like an update, here it is!

First, I studied my mixing approach. Instead of using the rule "stop when meat sticks to your hand when held upside down and pulls apart with 'threads'", I just ran the mixer for 8 mins. So when possible under-extraction was mentioned earlier, I made that worse! When I use the above rule, I stop mixing after like 4 mins, lol. So I was definitely over mixing. Not sure that explains why room temp hangs taste bad though...

Then, I read the Mariansky book to learn more about drying and sausage making. Two key things I've learned is (1) Good fats vs. Bad Fats, and (2) Principles of Drying.

The first part helped me to make a solid improvement to my sausages by ensuring that I trim the "bad" soft fat from Brisket, but keep the hard fat (I'll try pork back fat next). In addition, I save 20% of the hard fat in the freezer and manually chop it and add to my mix. Helps give these wonderful flavor chunks to the sausage (coarse grinds also help):

View attachment 693451

In terms of drying, the key thing I learned is about airflow and gradual moisture loss. Moisture loss is a function of air flow, humidity, temperature, and time. Set those parameters incorrectly and you get fat-out or a failure to fully dry the stick (since the exterior has hardened and prevents further moisture loss) or various other problems. In short, you can't dry a beef stick like you dry beef jerky.

So since I have humidity and temperature dialed in on my drying chamber, I set out to tackle the airflow part. Mariansky recommends a schedule of: (1) 0.8 - 1m/s first week, (2) 0.5m/s second week, and (3) 0.1-0.3m/s third week and beyond. I bought an anemometer that claims to measure at that level: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TS8LF3L and gave it a go.

It enabled me to cringe at my past mistakes (trying to dry w/ a box fan, lol) and also to dial in the airflow in my drying chamber:

View attachment 693452

Since the meter has a bit of trouble reading below 0.3m/s, I put a big fan in there to temporarily get high speeds and calculated % airspeed loss over distance. I then put a high flow filter in front of the fan and noted how it reduces airflow and also helps spread it evenly over an area.

Using the above approach, I put smaller fans in front of the filter and got what I felt was a somewhat consistent 0.5-1m/s on the first part of my rack and 0.1-0.3m/s on the second part. So my process is to start on the first rack (closest to filter) and then move to second after a week.

So I made a new batch (batch #32). In this batch, I broke out three sticks and tried three different methods:
  1. Wet Dehydrator - Find out what setting on dehydrator gets sticks to 145IT. Set dehydrator at that setting, and wet the sticks every 30 minutes to keep outside dry. Stop after 40% weight loss. I lost the weight. Part of it was drying, part was fat, but the stick was bad. Took about 6hrs to lose 40% weight.
  2. Hanging Room Temp (~73F, 70%RH, Room Airflow) - Weight (initial) 53.38g -> 43.63g (cook) -> 34.61g (hang). Total loss: 35.1%. Again, this caused the stick to get darker, have off flavors, and generally oily. Despite losing much more weight than #3, this was a bad snack stick.
  3. Hanging Drying Chamber (~55F, 75% RH, 0.8-1m/s flow) - Weight (initial) 49.24g -> 40.09g (cook) -> 34.06g (hang). Total loss: 29.2%. The stick was less dry, but it still tastes good. It's not what I want (see target in center). I still can't get those wrinkles... maybe after more time.
View attachment 693453

I also tried beer instead of water in that batch... never again. I want to taste beef and not stale beer.

I then created a new batch (batch #33) to try to test the difference between Fine-T collagen and sheep casings. The theory being that since these are both more permeable than my current collagen casings, then that could lead to better drying in the future.

The Fine-T casings were 2mm wider (at 17mm) sheep casings were much bigger (at 19mm-21mm), so that's a confounding variable there, but the experiment should still be useful.

View attachment 693459

Right now I have these in my drying chamber (75% RH/55F) with one Fine-T sacrificial piece hanging at room temp out of curiosity (I'm not wasting my sheep sticks! Those were hard to make!)

Lastly, I sought to find a way to measure relative Aw of my results. This is based on an FDA approach using synthetic-hair hygrometers (https://www.fda.gov/inspections-com...tion-technical-guides/water-activity-aw-foods)

I get the same volume of beef stick and slice them in half. Add in the hygrometer (you can get these for 3$ on aliexpress) vacuum seal for only like 2 seconds. You want the same amount of air in each bag (this works in my chamber vac, but possibly not a bag sealer). Then you wait ~5hrs. As you can see, my target stick is ~67% and my stick is ~77%. So still a ways to go.

View attachment 693462

The idea being that the Aw denominator cancels itself out if you're using two bags filled with the same amount of the same air. (I tried the same approach with a bag and pure distilled water, but I couldn't get that to work reliably). Still, a useful solution to ballpark relative Aw for only $6.

In sum:

So I'm sort of where I've been for ages! I can make a good snack stick, but I can't make it both dryer and better! I'm hoping that with more time in the drying chamber 55F/75%RH, I'll start to see those wrinkles! But I think probably not... :(

So I'm still trying to figure out:
1. What's going on with room temp hangs? Why does it start tasting/looking bad after 3 days? This is cured and cooked meat!
2. Why can't I get better wrinkles?

Hopefully the dry chamber batches (shown with anemometer) will start looking better in a week or so. Will post if so!
hmm... have you tried pork and pork back fat with this recipe? also another idea is to cold smoke for 8-10 hrs then water bath it in 165F water till you get your target internal temp then start drying..... just a thought or another idea....

Your methods and casing switch seem all viable options to me.

my thoughts, I feel like the sheep casing will give you the best snap.... pork and back fat....
parafrozen fat in the grinder and smoker temps not swinging really high...

also have you tried back fat at a lower percentage?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky