• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bvonvett

Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
Hello everyone,
I'm pretty new to smoking, have had a webber smokey mountain 21? for years and works great, there are a few chalanges at Colorado altitude to keep temps up but manageable. I just bought a MES for simplicity when I dont want to babysit all day.
First impression are it's okay but I'm going to need a smoker box, filling that little tube every 30 minutes to an hour I might as well be using my WSM. The temp is pretty constant with a can on the chimney to block the wind. Without i was hitting 325 plus on the pre season with open vent.
I did some baby back ribs yesterday following the 2 2 2 method at 225 and they weren't fall of the bone so I'll up the temp to 250 next time.
I currently have a brisket resting after it's cook and can't wait to cut into it. Its a 10lb I cooked at 275 and monitored temps with my ink bird 4 and was at 255 to 265 for 9ish hours. Final temp of 201, it sat there for an hour and didn't rise so I'm hoping it didn't dry out.
There is tons of info here and I'll be reading and posting a lot I hope.

Bill

Reactions: JC in GB
I just finished our meal and it was very tender, not dry but lacked smoke flavor. Had good bark, maybe I kept too much fat on but for my first attempt on a new smoker I'll call it a win.

Attachments

• 20200614_151050.jpg
    20200614_151050.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200614_151751.jpg
    20200614_151751.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 4
Welcome aboard, get an AMNPS tray, a lot of the MES guys use that in their smoker, then you dont have to worry about filling the tube

Welcome aboard, get an AMNPS tray, a lot of the MES guys use that in their smoker, then you dont have to worry about filling the tube
Thanks Kevin,
I was reading about those but a review said they didn't work well at altitude. I'm about 6000' is the tube type better for altitute or are they the same.

Seems like some people have problems keeping the tray lit at high altitudes. The same company make a tube also that may work better.
Also, welcome to SMF!

I tried the smoke tube today as a dry run, no heat or meat. It worked great for about an hour and a half and then me being me had to pick it up to look at how it was burning and it quickly lost that TBS and quit, up until then it worked very well. Hopefully by this weekend I'll find some turkey legs as I'm dying to smoke some but they can't be found anywhere lately.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky