Newbie Smoked First Pork Shoulders Disappointed!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello,

I just bought a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX 24 Pellet Grill. I decided to smoke two 8lb pork shoulders. Here's how I prepared and cooked them.

I brushed the pork with olive oil and used the Three Little Pigs Cherry seasoning rub. I wrapped them tight in saran wrap and refrigerated over night. I used Camp Chef Competition Blend Wood Pellets. I cooked them initially on 225. I put the pork shoulders in aluminum pans and once they got to internal temperature of 165 degrees, I transferred them to a clean aluminum pan, put 1 cup of apple juice and wrapped them with foil. I upped the temperature to 250 degrees and once they hit 203 degrees I pulled them out. I took towels and wrapped and put them in a dry cooler to rest for 2 hours. When them pulled them apart, it fell off the bone and shredded very easily. It was very moist and everyone loved it but it had no flavor unless you put some type of sauce on it. What did I do wrong? Should I have injected the pork prior to cooking it and put a glaze on it? I appreciate any tips someone can give me. Like I said I've brand new to smoking and this was my first shot.

View attachment 433451

Hello,

I just bought a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX 24 Pellet Grill. I decided to smoke two 8lb pork shoulders. Here's how I prepared and cooked them.

I brushed the pork with olive oil and used the Three Little Pigs Cherry seasoning rub. I wrapped them tight in saran wrap and refrigerated over night. I used Camp Chef Competition Blend Wood Pellets. I cooked them initially on 225. I put the pork shoulders in aluminum pans and once they got to internal temperature of 165 degrees, I transferred them to a clean aluminum pan, put 1 cup of apple juice and wrapped them with foil. I upped the temperature to 250 degrees and once they hit 203 degrees I pulled them out. I took towels and wrapped and put them in a dry cooler to rest for 2 hours. When them pulled them apart, it fell off the bone and shredded very easily. It was very moist and everyone loved it but it had no flavor unless you put some type of sauce on it. What did I do wrong? Should I have injected the pork prior to cooking it and put a glaze on it? I appreciate any tips someone can give me. Like I said I've brand new to smoking and this was my first shot.

View attachment 433451
Looks fantastic, you did everything right. I have a couple easy suggestions to pep it up add a shot or two of apple cider vinegar to your spritz definitely gives it a little zing. I also always lay down garlic powder wit my rub on pork.imho pork needs garlic.some Squeeze butter on it when you wrap.super easy things that will make a difference. Separate the juice at the end and reintroduce it to pulled pork and you will be amazed at the difference!

Looks fantastic, you did everything right. I have a couple easy suggestions to pep it up add a shot or two of apple cider vinegar to your spritz definitely gives it a little zing. I also always lay down garlic powder wit my rub on pork.imho pork needs garlic.some Squeeze butter on it when you wrap.super easy things that will make a difference. Separate the juice at the end and reintroduce it to pulled pork and you will be amazed at the difference!
Definitely try your next ones on the grates

All natural pork butts CAN be bland without injecting in the beginning or enhancing the flavor at the end, especially wrapping it at 165. I've injected. It helped if injected the day prior. I used the drippings and applied more rub before serving. Big improvement. Now I use enhanced butts because that's what my local grocer sells. The phosphates add a salty flavor that is improved with a low salt rub. And no matter how I smoke them, I always keep a bottle of Chef JJ's finishing sauce in the fridge. Don't smoke butts without it!

Here is my take on this:
I had an MES 40 for years. It did a fine job of smoking Boston Butts. Good flavor too. I bought a GMG
Daniel Boone 2 years ago just to do long cooks.....Boston Butts! The cooking was great. The smoke
flavor was not. The next time, I used Jeff's rub on the pork and let them sit in the refrigerator
overnight. Set the GMG to 225 and let it go for 10-12 hours. I also used the tube smoker for the
flavor profile. (hickory). I put a pan under one of the butts to catch the juices that drip out. After
6 hours, I poured the juices in to a jar and put it in the refrigerator to get rid of the fat. Skimmed the
fat of the juice, got the pork out at 205 degrees, pulled it apart, added the juices back and mixed it
well. I also added some North Carolina vinegar based sauce in as well.
The entire family....al 17 of them were here for dinner....said it was the best they ever had. I remain
skeptical on their opinion, but I liked it. ( no leftovers either)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky