Newbie from Dallas TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Saul D

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 7, 2023
Dallas, Tx
New to forum. Bought a pellet smoker a year ago. learning how my smoker works while trying to perfect recipes. That’s what makes it fun. Wife and daughter aren’t big fans of smoke flavor, so I use mostly pecan or cherry pellets. I like cooking low and slow but find that my briskets still turn out dry. I smoke mostly for my own enjoyment so I smoke small cuts (like a brisket flat or half a butt). Leaves me something to smoke next weekend. 😁

Howdy Saul, welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Used to live near you in Roanoke.

Depending on how long and how low you cook. it can dry out the meat.
Makes it like act a dehydrator.
Have to find right temp and time.
Wrapping half way through (give or take) can help keep moisture in, as well as injecting as some do.

Post your times, temps, and process.
Someone should be able to provide some good tips.

Welcome aboard Saul. Believe it or not it sounds like you may be undercooking your brisket. TIme is just a point of reference. When the meat probes easily then your done. By easily imagine a knife going into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Overcooked brisket will fall apart, but still taste good.

Chris

Howdy Saul, welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Used to live near you in Roanoke.

Depending on how long and how low you cook. it can dry out the meat.
Makes it like act a dehydrator.
Have to find right temp and time.
Wrapping half way through (give or take) can help keep moisture in, as well as injecting as some do.

Post your times, temps, and process.
Someone should be able to provide some good tips.
Start at 220 til meat reaches 160 internal, wrap in butcher paper, raise temp to 220 til meat reaches 200, rest 1 hour.

Welcome aboard Saul. Believe it or not it sounds like you may be undercooking your brisket. TIme is just a point of reference. When the meat probes easily then your done. By easily imagine a knife going into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Overcooked brisket will fall apart, but still taste good.

Chris
I don’t think tenderness is the issue. I just get nervous when I probe the meat and it reads 200. After 16 hours I figure it should be done. I just haven’t been able to smoke a juicy brisket. My theory is that I’m drying it out during the long smoke phase. Think I’ll try setting it at 250 and just let it roll, still wrapping at 160.

I usually start low at 175 for 90 minutes, then up to 275 for remaining time.
Wrap at stall point.
Takes about 12-12.5 hours or so for me.

I like the idea of low smoke in the beginning. After 2 hours at 180, I think I’ll run at 250. For long cooks, I like to start in the evening and let it run overnight. Don’t want it to reach the stall before I’m up in the morning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky