Newbie----considering the MES Sportsman Elite 30" - Bass Pro Exclusive

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

socalangler

Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
After hours of perusing this forum and other online locales, I am strongly considering a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30'' Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker Combo  (Bass Pro exclusive version). From what I have deduced, the BPS exclusive includes a basic 30"  Bluetooth model with added stand/legs, 2 additional racks (for 6 total), cover, gloves, and a CD/DVD.  Price $379.99 .  BPS has a 3 year warranty (starts on day of purchase) that includes accidental damage, general malfunction, broken welds, heating element, electronics, or anything for that matter, for $89.99.  I called their warranty dept to confirm this and it is correct.  You simply return item to BPS and they will replace item with new.

I have read issues with temps spiking/increasing for no apparent reason, door leaks, amd other issues.  

Can those that have this unit comment on these issues or any other issues you have experienced (Pros/Cons).

Now....will this unit be good for a beginner?

Will I be able to smoke fish as well as, ribs, sausage, pork roast, and all the other stuff I'll want to smoke?  

Or is it wise to use this unit for all non-fish items and purchase a used Big Chief for all fish items?  I've read the BC is very good at smoking fish and sometimes the scent/taste of fish can affect beef / pork items that were smoked in the MES.

Thoughts on this unit and will it fit my uses as discussed in my Roll Call Thread and General discussion thread?

Thanks!   

Last edited:
I have the 30", but I got it on amazon. I really enjoy it. Coming from charcoal and propane smoking, this is easier. I have noticed that the thermometer on the display unit is off a few degrees. My Thermo Works thermometer gives a different temp. I hope that's accurate for the money I spent on it. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same question on another post:   Will I be able to smoke fish as well as, ribs, sausage, pork roast, and all the other stuff I'll want to smoke?  

Hope you get this addressed directly.

Actually, on the Smokehouse Products Recipe page, I se sausages, cheeses, poultry and fish of course.  Nothing in the pork/beef area so I'm thinking this is a cold smoke and low temp specialty smoker.

I think you nailed it when you mention getting a used one for fish only.

runway1....I believe the unit from Bass Pro, which is the new MES 30", does all of the beefs and porks as I have read others on this forum doing just that.  Most people here smoke beefs/porks.

I hope we hear from veteran smokers who have this unit and smoke fish, and all the other beefs/porks I mentioned, often enough to provide a accurate response. 

Are you considering two smokers, one for fish and one for all other meats?

I would like to have just one smoker for smoking fish and meats, but I do not know enough about smoking to understand if this is feasible.  I am a believer in using the correct tool for the job!

I see you are also in SoCal.....I mainly target Striper in local lakes

Let's hear fro the veteran fish and beef smokers

Last edited:
and there's this one.......

My concern for some of these is the warranty.  After the 90 you are pretty much SOL.  That's why I wss interested in the BPS Sportsman Elite for $379.99 + $89.99 for a 3 year no questions asked warranty.  Yu are guaranteed a smoker for 3+ years.  However, it comes at a $500 cost!!!

You could buy two of these Amazon models for the same $500.

Decisions, Decisions.....

The smoker you are talking about is considered the gen2.5 and is a great smoker. This smoker can certainly be used for all types of meats, cheeses, sticks / sausage fish etc. I have the 30" model as well. (I'm almost positive it's a gen2.5 without seeing pics or having your. Modell # etc)
You should check out a few things that will help answer some of your questions the first one I would check out is this link. I'm not exactly sure how to share it but the post is "bears step by step index" It's great, Bear has loads of information and is very helpful. There also a section that breaks down all the MES smokers so you'll know what one you have and what the flaws are. Here's the link you can try otherwise search for it manually.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159333/bears-step-by-step-index#post_1149932

Outside of that I have purchased (along with pretty much everyone else) a AMNPS as an alternative smoke tray. (Use as needed) Add wood pellets light it up and place it in the smoker. Allows for good smoking at lower temps. You can see plenty of videos on YouTube of this product as well that will give you a better understanding.

A-MAZE-N Amazen Pellet Smoker with Pitmasters Choice Pellets, 5" L x 8" W
These are justva coulle things that may help you as they were very helpful to me as well! :grilling_smilie:

runway1....I believe the unit from Bass Pro, which is the new MES 30", does all of the beefs and porks as I have read others on this forum doing just that.  Most people here smoke beefs/porks.

I hope we hear from veteran smokers who have this unit and smoke fish, and all the other beefs/porks I mentioned, often enough to provide a accurate response. 

Are you considering two smokers, one for fish and one for all other meats?

I would like to have just one smoker for smoking fish and meats, but I do not know enough about smoking to understand if this is feasible.  I am a believer in using the correct tool for the job!

I see you are also in SoCal.....I mainly target Striper in local lakes

Let's hear fro the veteran fish and beef smokers
Did you ever decide which smoker to buy? The MES Sportsman Elite you described is a terrific smoker for a beginner or a more experienced home smoker. I have the MES 30 Gen 1 which is an inexpensive bare bones smoker and it's been superb for meat, fish, and cheeses. I do both hot and cold smokes in it. I prefer to use wood pellets and I use the A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker. There can be problems with adequate flow of oxygen with some of the MES models but there are mods (posted by many users here) to address and fix that. You may need that.

Sportsman Elite models sold by big box sporting/outdoor goods stores many times have special features not included in the standard versions of MES models. But sometimes the SE models are the same as standard models under the Masterbuilt nameplate. The one you've described with the extra features sounds like a great smoker. I know Smoke Hollow owners who really like their smokers. I know nothing about the Cajun Injector line of smokers. I do know that Masterbuilt provides excellent customer service and, depending on the issue, will honor expired warranties by sending free replacement parts or even smokers.

Thanks for the input.  I did purchase a new BC that I found on CL.  It's been seasoned and is ready to go!  Now if I can just catch some nice Striper, smoker will be put to work!

I want to start with fish, and if I like the hobby, I will probably get the SE from Bass Pro.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky