New to Smoking....Charcoal or Pellet?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCD0112

Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Good Morning All,

I love spending time out on my Weber gas grill and have always thought about getting a smoker, but have finally decided to take the leap. I wanted to get some opinions as a first time smoker if I’m better off jumping into the charcoal and getting a Weber Smokey Mountain or going the Traeger route with pellets. Obviously Im open to other suggestions as well. Not looking to do anything over the top as mainly it would be for just my wife and I but something that could also handle a larger load for some bbqs in the summer. Appreciate you opinions on the charcoal vs pellets as a beginner. Thank you in advance. —Joe

WSM, would be my choice. I have had a 22.5 for a bunch of years & it really gives a great flavor to the meat, the only better smoker I have is my Lang. That wood fire just is the best, but the price difference is huge.
Al

I always ask if it's a hobby or an oven... if you really want to get into smoking and understanding how oxygen, fire, temps, and controlling it goes, start with charcoal. You can control the smoke levels and flavor profiles a lot more in a charcoal burner than a pellet grill.
If you want something you can set and forget and still get a mild smoke flavor, the pellet smoker is it.

To me, there is nothing simpler to use than a pellet smoker. Mine has put out great results from day one.

I agree with all the above.
I have a UDS, Weber Kettle, Char-broil commercial infrared gas grill and a GMG Daniel Boone pooper. I can turn out awesome food on anything. For the pellet grill get a Smoke tube from Amazen and you won’t be disappointed with smoke flavor.

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
My philosophy is "keep it simple." There's nothing that can fail on the WSM other than grates rusting without proper care. In a short time, you can learn to set it up so it is practically set and forget. It can go for 6-8, even 10-12 hours without being touched.

Flavor aside, research the pellet and electric smoker problems here on the forum, then decide which is best for you.

For the pellet grill get a Smoke tube from Amazen and you won’t be disappointed with smoke flavor.
Amen to that. I love my Amazon smoke tube... put some pellets or chips in there... I use it for the grill the most.

I have a gas smoker and looking at getting a offset stick burner.
I love offset stick. Tough to use regular if you just have a rib or two you want for dinner; charcoal/propane/pellet is ideal. But if your doing a batch of anything or a couple butts... Stick is the way to go. In my opinion of course...

Reactions: JLeonard
If you want to do a little work then WSM or Kettle. If you want to flip a switch, pellet. All are good options, just what is more important to you?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky