New to sausage qustion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

orthodoc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
I am not a sausage eater, but I want to serve some at a BBQ fest for a bunch of guys...
I have a Yoder pellet grill.

What type of sausage do you suggest serving to go alongside Texas-style brisket, and how long/what temp do I smoke at?
Thanks

Do you want to make your own sausages or are you planning to smoke store bought sausage?

I would purchase Johnsonville Bratwurst... they make several flavors....
How to cook...
Simmer the sausage in a mix of 1/2 beer and 1/2 water... add onions, garlic and what ever to the liquid...
Fully cook the sausage in the liquid at +/- 180 F...... Then put them on the Yoder to brown up... then they can go back in the liquid to keep warm....

Reactions: 73saint and SonnyE
Do what Dave says. They will be a hit. You might also consider some good quality sauerkraut for a topping.

Reactions: chopsaw
Try some hot Itialian sausage.

simmer sliced onions and peppers in butter until soft.

place cooked sausage on a buttered hard roll, cover with the onions and peppers.

goes great with brisket.

Salt potatoes as a side dish.

Reactions: SonnyE
For hors d'oeuvres, I've always liked doing some Italian Sausages on the grill, Slice into bite size, stick in a toothpick, and serve hot. Hot and mild.
They always disappear.

Like Dave, I usually look for Johnsonville. Never got a bad sausage from them.

I go simple, especially for guys. Gals like them too.

we use sausage for appetizers a lot, mostly Italian or hot Italian, bbq, sliced and eater can dip in mustard with a toothpick, or eat plain. seems to be a crowd pleaser. I also like Jap and cheese. sliced the same way but no mustard. This is how I slice them. Nothing fancy. This is the jap and cheese.
505199D8-DC99-4BE9-A880-DA959DD7644F.jpeg

Last edited:
As said there are so many sausages out there its all according to the flavor your looking for and don't forget kielbasa.

Warren

Nothing against Johnsonville, but I wouldn't hesitate to try some of the sausages made in your local supermarket.

Some are very, very good.

Ask for the butcher and see if he will put together a sample package of 5 or so links.

You might be surprised.

I go to Liehs and Steigerwald whenever I'm in Syracuse. great sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky