New to forum...tips on smoking!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Neme

Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
1599026F-A914-45C7-9B09-7E32DF2BFEEC.jpeg
8A564ADF-FCFE-4660-AC4D-E99126D0825C.jpeg
build a smoker this year, just got to used this month. Put some ribs and a bird on it. Ribs turn out a little too smoky. At what time shoul I wrap my ribs to preventing from getting to much smoke.

Yes,you're gonna have to figure out when to wrap according to your personal preference in a stick burner.Which I assume that is from the size of it.

I would try the 3-2-1 method or cut back on wood
I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you better things to try
This forum is great with a lot of good people and info
Good luck

When using a stick burner there are a lot of determining factors that decide the amount of smoke and when to wrap. I normally wrap mine at 2 hours and can go 3 hours but seems my smoker likes to settle in between 225 and 250. If you keep it at 225 I would wrap at 2 hours. Seems to me, the lower the cook temp the earlier I need to wrap basically due to the amount of smoke produced and also due to the fact that meat absorbs smoke better at the lower temps. It also depends a lot on the type of wood used. Cherry is a milder smoke but I normally use pecan. How long your wood has been seasoned and if you preheat your wood determines the amount of smoke produced.
Because of all the influencing factors and the amount of smoke you prefer you'll need to determine for yourself at what time you'll need to wrap.

I would try the 3-2-1 method or cut back on wood
I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you better things to try
This forum is great with a lot of good people and info
Good luck[/QUOT
When using a stick burner there are a lot of determining factors that decide the amount of smoke and when to wrap. I normally wrap mine at 2 hours and can go 3 hours but seems my smoker likes to settle in between 225 and 250. If you keep it at 225 I would wrap at 2 hours. Seems to me, the lower the cook temp the earlier I need to wrap basically due to the amount of smoke produced and also due to the fact that meat absorbs smoke better at the lower temps. It also depends a lot on the type of wood used. Cherry is a milder smoke but I normally use pecan. How long your wood has been seasoned and if you preheat your wood determines the amount of smoke produced.
Because of all the influencing factors and the amount of smoke you prefer you'll need to determine for yourself at what time you'll need to wrap.
awesome thanks I will keep practicing

I don't usually wrap my ribs on my stick burner, but you have to keep a good coal bed going & it helps to preheat your wood on top of the firebox.
That way when you add a split it will ignite right away & you won't get any thick smoke.
Most of the time there is just a little smoke , but mostly heat coming out of my stack.
Al

I don't usually wrap my ribs on my stick burner, but you have to keep a good coal bed going & it helps to preheat your wood on top of the firebox.
That way when you add a split it will ignite right away & you won't get any thick smoke.
Most of the time there is just a little smoke , but mostly heat coming out of my stack.
Al

What temps are you normally smoking at Al?

2F4CDF0B-CDDA-46C4-A7AE-745B3BD78F28.jpeg
6B872BCE-AE9E-4C42-BE0D-B7FA017C8BAC.jpeg
A5F056B9-ECF7-4DBA-9155-7EC3673B3E78.png
It was a sunny day up here in Michigan today perfect to turn on the smoker on. Few things I did differently this time where used wood that I stored inside and left a two inch gap on my fire box door. Turns out my air vent is not big enough. finally only smoked them for an hour and thirty minutes than wrap and about half hour for the sauce.. they looked great and taste even better than my las two attempts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky