new to all that is smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mpav21

Original poster
May 13, 2013
Northeast PA
hello everyone i just assembled my first smoker and am excited to enter this hallowed fraturnity.  i love everything pig, so i was gonna start with some pulled pork. my first question here i guess is more looking for advice.  i am wondering what is the most important part of a good rub? and also any advice to a smoking noob is greatly appreciated.

mpav, morning and welcome to the forum....     SPOG is important... salt, pepper, onion, garlic....  then some heat and sweet.....  cayenne, chipotle, brown sugar, etc.....  

Dave

Hi, mpav.

Rubs are a matter of taste and preference, and you may try many before you find one that you like enough to make it your "go to" rub.  I have 2 or 3 that I use most often, including the recipe that our webmaster, TulsaJeff, sells here.  For pork, my family likes a rub with plenty of sweet in it.  I personally like rubs with some spiciness, but my family doesn't care for a lot of heat, so I have to compromise a little.

Another that I have used quite a bit lately on pork is this one:

Memphis Magic Dust Rub Recipe

Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Yield, makes about 3 cups.

Good luck and have fun!

Red

Last edited:
Mpav
Welcome to the forum. Good choice on pulled pork. Pork butts or roasts are pretty easy, and hard to screw up. Be sure you have a good temp probe to monitor meat and smoke chamber temp. As for rubs.... Red has given you a recipe for a good one but learn to use the search function here and you'll see bunches of great rubs. You'll be smokin like a pro in no time. All the best to you.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys this is all greatly app to a true noob...This site is my new obsession, i cant wait to get started!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky