New project as a humble beginning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just keep marveling at your progress every time I check in on it. You know weather is not an issue here in CA and you could always enjoy another trip to Camp Pendelton - it is 5 miles from here if you wanted to work in better weather - just sayin

Finished the paint this morning. I'll button up the stacks and get it out of the garage in the morning. I'll get some pics then and post. Season it Wed. and Ribs and fish Thurs.
yahoo.gif

I just keep marveling at your progress every time I check in on it. You know weather is not an issue here in CA and you could always enjoy another trip to Camp Pendelton - it is 5 miles from here if you wanted to work in better weather - just sayin
I don't know if "enjoyment" was my first impression of Pendelton but it was by the time I left. I enjoyed the weather but the cost of living would put me under. Nice for a visit now and then but I like the heartland.
smilie_flagge13.gif

WOW - congratulations on a great build. Cant wait to see that bad boy in action
Beer.gif

Next time you visit SoCal let me know

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!

Seasoning it today. Gettin ribs ready for tmrw. 3 therms are within 5 degrees and I have a cold spot on the bottom away from the firebox. I kinda expected that with the configuration and airflow. It's 35 degrees colder. That shouldn't be a problem to work around. I've got some leaks around the door that I also expected. I'll seal those up this weekend and should be good to go.
fb71e941_0316111050a_421948.jpg
80d1be12_0316111118a_330740.jpg

I'd just be careful to make sure you get all the residue out. Considering the cost of metal these days, you didn't get hurt for $100. I built my smoker grill from scratch.  Used 10 guage metal and mounted it on a cheap harbor freight trailer. I decided to go with propane since I'll use it as much for grilling burgers for large groups as using it to smoke.  I've used it only twice so far and both times to smoke ribs and chickens. Worked like a charm. I made the 1" pipe burners and venturi's for them myself. Trial and error to get the air fuel mix right. High pressure regulator gives both burners plenty of gas. I made them independent and only run the back burner when I'm smoking for offset cooking. I put a cast iron dutch oven over the back burner and filled it with water soaked hickory nut hulls. I love the flavor the hickory hulls add to the meat. Here's a picture before I mounted the LP tanks. If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to offer suggestions. I'm not a metal fabricator but really enjoy building things. Good luck on your "Q"!
8d8fd4f8_Grill.jpg
e839747a_IMG00060.jpg

It's been burned out twice and has had it's maiden voyage. Great food. Mounted it on the same trailer as yours(with a few mods). Nice rig ya got there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky