New MES30 Auber Rewire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AlwaysHungry

Original poster
Feb 11, 2023
Oregon
Hey all

New guy here and I just wanted to confirm something about the MES30 rewire for an Auber PID. There's a PDF on Auber's website showing a simple jumper used for the MES30 (newer model). I'm ready to plug it in but I just wanted a second opinion (I'm not an electrician). This pic is from Auber's website and is the exact setup I have in mine:

mes30newer.jpg

Apparently, simply jumping the in/out wires (A - solid black and B - red braided) on the relay is all that's needed. It's so simple I'm suspicious. :emoji_laughing: Can anyone confirm that? I've already made the jumper, just wanted a thumbs up. Thanks!

This is for a mes 40 but there is info about the 30 somewhere I'm sure

Thanks guys. I thought I'd seen all the rewire posts but I missed the one I needed. So yes, it is that simple on this particular circuit board. It's confusing when I have to rely on pictures and there's a couple of different boards with different color wires and locations.

Reactions: babydocsmoke
Yep the 2 wires on that black box (relay) are the contacts. Tying them together by passes the relay and that's about all that is required. And tho I did mine differently, you should retain the light as well, but you may have to turn the unit "on" with the control panel. Haven't tried that myself, so not sure.

I was thinking of just leaving the control panel off unless there's some reason to at least keep it connected?

Hey all

New guy here and I just wanted to confirm something about the MES30 rewire for an Auber PID. There's a PDF on Auber's website showing a simple jumper used for the MES30 (newer model). I'm ready to plug it in but I just wanted a second opinion (I'm not an electrician). This pic is from Auber's website and is the exact setup I have in mine:

View attachment 658076

Apparently, simply jumping the in/out wires (A - solid black and B - red braided) on the relay is all that's needed. It's so simple I'm suspicious. :emoji_laughing: Can anyone confirm that? I've already made the jumper, just wanted a thumbs up. Thanks!
Hi there and welcome!

Looks like you got it sorted out.

It seems that on your board the blue braided and the white smooth are basically jumped already via the board. So a jumper on solid black and braided red makes sense.

Only reason to leave the top controller on is to keep the holes covered from the elements and mother nature. Less likely to get water or bugs crawling down. It would have to be a considerable amount of water for it to travel down the wires and into the lower circuit board.
That's the only good reason I can think of.

I'm pretty sure you are going to love being a part of the PID club. Your smoker will be a completely different animal for sure :D

Let us know how it turns out! :)

Hi there and welcome!

Looks like you got it sorted out.

It seems that on your board the blue braided and the white smooth are basically jumped already via the board. So a jumper on solid black and braided red makes sense.

Only reason to leave the top controller on is to keep the holes covered from the elements and mother nature. Less likely to get water or bugs crawling down. It would have to be a considerable amount of water for it to travel down the wires and into the lower circuit board.
That's the only good reason I can think of.

I'm pretty sure you are going to love being a part of the PID club. Your smoker will be a completely different animal for sure :D

Let us know how it turns out! :)
Thanks tallbm. I'm going thru the manual for the PID as we speak. I picked up an Auber 1510ELPM - seemed like a good place to start. I'll fire it all up tomorrow. The smoker is brand new and hasn't even been seasoned (like me) so it will likely never see its original controller. Im looking forward to actually cooking something. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: tallbm
Yes the wires terminated at the black cube relay is all needed to be done because the white neutral and other braided is terminated at the PC board, but I don't like alum lugs for appliances so I wire nutted both. I used a couple binder clips to hold the plate to the flange after drilling out the rivets on my Gen 1 40.

I would call it a success. The Auber held 275 +2 -3 for 3 hours.
Auber.jpeg

And the Inkbird double check lagged by 4-5 degrees. The Auber probe was right over the heating element and the Inkbird probe was on the opposite side of the cabinet so that may explain the differences. Either way, close enough I think.

inkbird.jpeg

Thanks again to everyone - this forum was such a huge resource for me getting things going. My clothes smell like hickory. :)

Reactions: zwiller and tallbm
BTW, I think I'll set the P parameter on the Auber to something lower than 7. It does take a long time to come up to the initial temp. I ramped it up starting with 150, then to 225, and then to 275 and each step up was longer than necessary I think. YMMV.

BTW, I think I'll set the P parameter on the Auber to something lower than 7. It does take a long time to come up to the initial temp. I ramped it up starting with 150, then to 225, and then to 275 and each step up was longer than necessary I think. YMMV.
Congrats on getting all wired up and starting the fun!
You will be smoking something good in no time!

Yeah I bet a P of 7 drastically increases your heat up.
You, may have some initial oveshoot but that is easy to manage.
Like if you consistently overshoot by 15F degrees just start out 15 degrees lower than your set temp and when it overshoots and hits your set temp, you just bump up your set to temp to where it is at. Done! :D

So now, what do you plan to smoke on your first adventure?

I recommend something simple and fool proof. Something like boneless skinless chicken thighs because they are about the easiest piece of meat you can do.

Set temp of 225F (they cook fast so lower temp is better). Season with Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG) + Paprika, and you will have great flavor.
Take to an Internal Temp (IT) of like 178F (they do better at a higher temp).
Use whatever wood you want to smoke with!
Do that and you will be learning your setup, learning how it smokes, and eating amazing chicken that you can keep practicing on until your system is dialed in.
From there you simply do whatever process is different for the meat you want to smoke. No two meats are the same and all of them have their prep and cook quirks that you have to deal with to nail the dish :)

Can you tell I'm excited for your first smoke? hahaha Let us know what you decide :D

Congrats on getting all wired up and starting the fun!
You will be smoking something good in no time!

Yeah I bet a P of 7 drastically increases your heat up.
You, may have some initial oveshoot but that is easy to manage.
Like if you consistently overshoot by 15F degrees just start out 15 degrees lower than your set temp and when it overshoots and hits your set temp, you just bump up your set to temp to where it is at. Done! :D

So now, what do you plan to smoke on your first adventure?

I recommend something simple and fool proof. Something like boneless skinless chicken thighs because they are about the easiest piece of meat you can do.

Set temp of 225F (they cook fast so lower temp is better). Season with Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG) + Paprika, and you will have great flavor.
Take to an Internal Temp (IT) of like 178F (they do better at a higher temp).
Use whatever wood you want to smoke with!
Do that and you will be learning your setup, learning how it smokes, and eating amazing chicken that you can keep practicing on until your system is dialed in.
From there you simply do whatever process is different for the meat you want to smoke. No two meats are the same and all of them have their prep and cook quirks that you have to deal with to nail the dish :)

Can you tell I'm excited for your first smoke? hahaha Let us know what you decide :D

Yeah, I'm pretty excited! Chicken was what I was thinking too. I've got a six pack of those thighs from Costco so I'll give that a shot. I haven't got my mailbox done yet so I may try the chicken using the chip pan in the smoker. It worked really well for the seasoning of the smoker and I won't mind the constant reloading on this first go around.

Speaking of chip trays...how often do you need to empty the ashes? can you do a ~3 hour chicken smoke without needing to empty it?

I have the 5x8 and it will burn nearly 8 hrs on a single fill so a 3 hr burn is no problem provided you get it lit right. Ashes are nearly none existent. You really will be surprised how clean they burn. Cleaning can be as simple as close your eyes and blow.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited! Chicken was what I was thinking too. I've got a six pack of those thighs from Costco so I'll give that a shot. I haven't got my mailbox done yet so I may try the chicken using the chip pan in the smoker. It worked really well for the seasoning of the smoker and I won't mind the constant reloading on this first go around.

Speaking of chip trays...how often do you need to empty the ashes? can you do a ~3 hour chicken smoke without needing to empty it?

Oh your boneless skinless chicken thighs will turn out awesome!

Pretty sure you can do a 3 hour smoke using chips and the chip tray without needing to empty. Not sure when you will NEED to empty using chips but I'm pretty sure you will be ok on this maiden voyage.

FYI, poultry skin of any kind will turn out rubbery/leathery if not cooked at heats like 300F+ so keep that in mind if you are doing chicken.

I put in a safety rollout limit switch that shuts off at like 350F just so I could do fast poultry smokes at 325F. I never go over 275F except when I do poultry and I don't go over 325F and never more than 4 hours.

The insulation isn't really rated for working hard for too long above 325F but for a few hours doing chicken or turkey I have seen no issue. But know I am vigilant about watching temps and making sure it's all good to go :)

I have the 5x8 and it will burn nearly 8 hrs on a single fill so a 3 hr burn is no problem provided you get it lit right. Ashes are nearly none existent. You really will be surprised how clean they burn. Cleaning can be as simple as close your eyes and blow.
That's good to know. I have the 5X8 tray as well and I'll start messing with the mailbox this week. I have 6 different pellet flavors and a bag of sawdust on its way. It looks like you need to experiment to get that all working the way you want.

Oh your boneless skinless chicken thighs will turn out awesome!

Pretty sure you can do a 3 hour smoke using chips and the chip tray without needing to empty. Not sure when you will NEED to empty using chips but I'm pretty sure you will be ok on this maiden voyage.

FYI, poultry skin of any kind will turn out rubbery/leathery if not cooked at heats like 300F+ so keep that in mind if you are doing chicken.

I put in a safety rollout limit switch that shuts off at like 350F just so I could do fast poultry smokes at 325F. I never go over 275F except when I do poultry and I don't go over 325F and never more than 4 hours.

The insulation isn't really rated for working hard for too long above 325F but for a few hours doing chicken or turkey I have seen no issue. But know I am vigilant about watching temps and making sure it's all good to go :)
I actually have bone-in and skin-on thighs. I'll do a couple with and without skin and preheat my oven to 475. I can try blasting the skin for a few minutes after pulling them from the smoker. I make a pretty mean Panko breaded Air Fryer thigh with skin that you can eat like potato chips and would like to duplicate that somehow.

I was looking for something in the Auber like a master over-temp setting that would just shut the whole thing down if it reached whatever you set it for, but I couldn't find it. I'll look into the safety rollout thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky