New MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heubrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Chicago Area
After literally countless hours of use my 30”’MES Rev 2 “the bad one” gave up the ghost. I have been so impressed with the MES over the years that I got another 30” this time a MES 130B series with the integrated digital meat thermometer from QVC. I was even able to reuse my modified stand from my old MES. I added castors to it so I can roll it around. Plan on smoking something this weekend. Perhaps a brisket

Reactions: chopsaw
After literally countless hours of use my 30”’MES Rev 2 “the bad one” gave up the ghost. I have been so impressed with the MES over the years that I got another 30” this time a MES 130B series with the integrated digital meat thermometer from QVC. I was even able to reuse my modified stand from my old MES. I added castors to it so I can roll it around. Plan on smoking something this weekend. Perhaps a brisket

Nice!
You don't happen to have the old one laying around do u?
I'd bet money a simple rewire and a PID controller would have it running better than it ever did all those years you used it in the past :)

The breaker at my house tripped and I saw the connector to the heating element was melted. It was heavily corroded,

I did not realize how much grease accumulated back by the heating element

I turned on the unit so it would “heat” but got 0 voltage drop between the wires. So I figured it was about that time for a replacement

congrats on the new smoker, I have a mes 30 now for a couple years, I have no complaints about them, you could always save your old one for cold smokes

The breaker at my house tripped and I saw the connector to the heating element was melted. It was heavily corroded,

I did not realize how much grease accumulated back by the heating element

I turned on the unit so it would “heat” but got 0 voltage drop between the wires. So I figured it was about that time for a replacement

I'm highly confident that if you wanted to work on it you could get the old one back up and running by replacing the connectors with stainless steel hi-temp ones... provided the element isn't dead.

The top 2 failure points of an MES are the controller, and crappy corroding wire connectors. The connectors are a simple fix :)

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky