NEW MES 40 gen2.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mleff6

Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Got my new smoker last night and seasoned it last night too lol but I was wondering why no one puts water in their water bowl, and also I need to foil the water bowl and drip pan In the bottom. How do you all clean the window after every smoke? I seasoned it and there is a film of smoke on the window now.

The MES is so well insulated that if you put water in the bowl it creates too humid an atmosphere inside the smoker.
Most of the guys use an Amazen pellet smoker http://www.amazenproducts.com/ for smoke & the humid conditions will put the pellets out. Yes foil both for easy cleanup. Rubbing alcohol on a paper towel will get the window clean. If you get too much build up on the window, then a scrubbie with rubbing alcohol will do the trick.
Have fun with your new smoker!
Al

might try a magic eraser and some weber grate grill cleaner. that stuff will practically clean up anything. Or really and degreasing agent or cleaner should do the trick, just a good rinse off and you are set.

Thanks guys I have rubbing Alcohol and I have Webber grate cleaner as well!

I don't have your smoker, but I do have a water pan in my smoker and I foil the top, push down on the foil in the center so grease runs to the middle and poke about 7 or 8 holes in the foil.
This will help control temps, put moisture in smoker, slow down evaporation, and collect grease for easy clean up.
As far as cleaning the glass, you can purchase fireplace glass clear at your hardware store, that's where I get mine.
Just be sure to spray glass down after cleaning with fresh water to rinse off any chemical film.
JMI

Why would anyone want to use oven cleaner or some degreaser which would need to be washed out if normal everyday household rubbing alcohol works? Wipe the window clean with alcohol and start smoking no hose required.

Like Al said, "You don't want to add water to the pan of an MES".
It is so well insulated that it holds too much moisture.
I haven't put water in any of my MES units for 7 years, yet at times I get so much condensation on the inside of my glass that it runs down the window like Niagara Falls. Imagine how bad that would be if I add water to my pan.

Glass cleaning?
When cold, I just open the door all the way, and clean the glass with Windex, being careful not to get any spray in my Smoker.
If you let it go too long, use a Razor Blade (Widget) first.

If you have access to Fireplace ashes, Dip a crumbled wet paper towel lightly in the ashes----Best glass cleaner in the world. Finish with a clean wet paper towel & then a Dry one.

Bear

Cool thanks guys! First smoke is in the books and today I’m smoking chicken and venison meatballs for appetizers at Christmas

Got my new smoker last night and seasoned it last night too lol but I was wondering why no one puts water in their water bowl, and also I need to foil the water bowl and drip pan In the bottom. How do you all clean the window after every smoke? I seasoned it and there is a film of smoke on the window now.
I gave my 3 year old gen 1 40 to my daughter last summer and started using my identical one. This one has some mfg residue on the glass that is clear when cleaned but picks up a haze in an hour that is different than regular smoke residue. I've used all kinds of chemicasl on the window and finally razor bladed it. I could see areas from scrapping removed that residue permanently but it was in long strips. Using a super fine steel wool on the clean dry glass removed the mfg smoke grabbing clear film. It was the weirdest thing I've ever experienced.
-Kurt

Last edited:
Well like I said, I don't have an MES, but one of my small cookers is WSM 22", and that is what I was referring to in my post where I use water.
I'll be honest, I don't even know what an MES is, so maybe I should have just stayed out of this post.
But what I said holds and works for me as far as water in cooker, and I agree on keeping chemicals out of the cooker and if alcohol works on cleaning glass, that's a plus. I only clean the glass on my fireplace insert once in a while, so again maybe I should have not said anything. Sorry!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky