New Member saying Hi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

88nitro305

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
Hello everyone!
New member, name is Tom and I’m from Vermont. Just got a WSM 22.5 for Christmas after eying it for years. I’m not completely new to smoking, I have 2 Weber 22.5 kettles that I’ve smoked and cooked on for the past 5 years. This however is my 1st true smoker! I’ve already smoked some chicken thighs on it which came out good since it’s the so difficult. Today I’ll be smoking a couple of pork tenderloins. One question, How much charcoal should I use for just a 2hr smoke? Since the tenderloins won’t take hours to smoke I don’t want to over use my charcoal.. thanks you and I’m looking forward to being apart of this community! Cheers

Hello from a fellow VTer. and welcome to the forum. I have the WSM 22" also. I normally fill the charcoal ring up no matter what I smoke. Once I pull the meat off the smoker I close all the vents choking it down. When it's cooled off I take the non-burnt coals and store them in a container for my next smoke. Remember there's allot of space to heat up and maintain temps within the walls of the WSM.

Chris.

Reactions: 88nitro305
Thanks Chris I’ll do that! Was hoping for a 50 degree day to smoke but this will have to do..

Also I see you’re located in Georgia, I grew up there now the wife and I live in St Albans. Cheers

We've been here since '88. Good luck on the tenderloins.

Chris

Be careful storing charcoal that you have already used! If there is still some airflow then choking it out may not work that well. It could still be hot enough to start back up. If you store it in a garage then it could lead to a house fire or a build up of carbon monoxide!

Be careful storing charcoal that you have already used! If there is still some airflow then choking it out may not work that well. It could still be hot enough to start back up. If you store it in a garage then it could lead to a house fire or a build up of carbon monoxide!
Good call! I was thinking about going to the local co-op and buying a steel trash can with a lid and storing the coals in that in my garage, but maybe outside would be best

199E58FD-F487-4038-AD6C-6ECC9FEB7937.jpeg
Well the tenderloins are done and wrapped, waiting for the wife to get home.. finished earlier then I expected and it didn’t really form a crust but it was only 1.5hrs at 235...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky