New Member from Winchester, VA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rmeston

Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Winchester, VA
Hello All,

Well, new to smoking/bbq and new here, but have been lurking for a while and trying to learn. Just signed up for a premier membership as well, as this forum has already been of value to me making decisions about smoking, so I feel it's important to support the group here in any way I can.

Anyway, this whole thing really started off with this past deer season, where I got two in the freezer. (Lost out with hunting last year due to contracting Covid.) I had been making venison jerky inside in my oven, but my wife was not a fan of leaving the oven on for 5-6 hours, and I had to leave the door cracked, to get down to about 160 degrees, and she wasn't really fond of the jerky smell throughout the house. So, looking for a better solution, and to also making venison summer sausage and other goodies, I ended up here on the forum.

Before I found the forum, I had purchase a Masterbuilt vertical electric smoker from Lowes, but after reading a number of comments on temperatures, and controller issues, I opted to just return it (still in the box) back to Lowes. I then researched other options, read a lot and thought more about my own needs starting out, and ended up buying a Pit-Boss Pro Series II, 4-Series vertical smoker. Starting pellets will be the Pit-Boss brand "competition blend", as it's what I could get easily.

The smoker has only arrived as of couple of days ago, and as a result. it's not assembled yet, just still in the box in the garage. Also bought a ThermoPro wireless thermometer with 4 probes, which seemed like a reasonable option starting out. Not sure I want to spend more on the Fireboard-2 at this point, so we'll see how it works out. So, there will certainly be more to come with trials and tribulations as I try to get this all figured out.

One of the things I read here about Pit-Boss, or at least with the earlier versions, was the debate on incremental settings for temperature, so I ended up calling support. On the grill I purchased, here's what I got from Pit-Boss support, and I don't know if that aligns with you all in terms of actual experience.

150-200 degrees - "Smoke Mode" Nothing on incremental settings within that range.
200-300 degrees - 10 degree temperature increments.
300-400 degrees - 25 degree temperature increments.
400+ - 50 degree temperature increments.

First test will probably be some more venison jerky, then on to a smoked backstrap recipe which I saw here recently, and then venison summer sausage.

Later,

Randall

Smoker Boxed.jpeg

Reactions: bauchjw
Welcome to SMF!
Congrats on the new smoker!
Plenty of guys on here with that model to help you if needed.
Al

Welcome from Virginia! You’re going to have a lot of fun here learning, great people to help out too!

Welcome Randall, glad you joined us. Nice smoker you have there.

Welcome from Iowa! This is a great place to learn! Not sure if you saved the deer hearts, but they are excellent smoked!

Ryan

Got the smoke rolling yet ?

Guys, no, I've been able to get the new smoker together/up and running yet. My father in law passed away a week ago, and we've been working on family issues which will keep us busy for a while. He just had his 98th birthday, the day before he passed away. A WWII veteran who as a Navy ensign was on an LST, bringing Marines into Okinawa. A gentleman who will be sorely missed by all.

Randall

Welcome from Ohio! I used to spend time on your area monthly got years on sales calls. Called in Lear / IAC in Winchester and Strasburg. Our company also has a plant in Winchester.

Guys, no, I've been able to get the new smoker together/up and running yet. My father in law passed away a week ago, and we've been working on family issues which will keep us busy for a while. He just had his 98th birthday, the day before he passed away. A WWII veteran who as a Navy ensign was on an LST, bringing Marines into Okinawa. A gentleman who will be sorely missed by all.

Randall
Sorry for your loss Randall. Sounds like a true American patriot.
My dad was also on an LST in WWII.

After all these years, I don't think I knew that.....
Wow right? Didn’t realize that was your hometown! Yep I miss the trips there. Good people and great places to see. I even made the Apple Blossom festival a couple times.

Hey Randall,

Welcome aboard from NC. Congratulations on your new smoker.

Amazon sells pellets, and a good variety of them. Not sure how their prices run. A 20 LB. bag lasts me a long time using in my cold smoking tubes.

I used to spend a good bit of time around Winchester hunting groundhogs.

Condolences to you, your wife and family. My Dad was a WWII vet. They are leaving us quickly.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=wood+p...od+pellets,aps,111&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_12

Yes, I love the history around here. Winchester is a big enough town for things you need, but still small enough to not feel crowded.

For those tracking, my Father In Law's ship it was LST-1107. He was the CO when the shop was brought back after the war though the Panama canal for decommissioning.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky