**New Member = First Reverse Flow Smoker Build from 60 Gallon Compressor Tank**

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great. Was going to put mine I
On 4 wheels with some sort of steering. WAY to much like work. Wheels on the FB end, simple metal frame on the cold side. Wrap a chain around the frame and move it with our tractor....
Haha, yeah I hear you. Like all projects I do they get out of hand and take a different path!

For example............I just bought and picked up an EFI system & I will be converting to e85 on the Scamp. I ordered all the fittings I need to make the change under the hood today, I should have them by Tuesday. After I get that all installed and done, I will be adding a Procharger. Goal is 1000 HP to the tires. I am already about 675 on the 200hit of Juice. Without Juice 15-18 PSI should get me to that goal. You can see what I am doing in my long thread on FABO.

Way cool. I like how it kind of looks like an old school farm tractor.
icon14.gif
Yeah it didn't start out to be like that. I would only spend a few hours on it at a time so I had a lot of time to think about it. 

It did morph into trying to make it look like an old tractor. I guess I did it right cause I never said anything about that! haha

All metal fabrication is done on the smoker!

Next up is sand blast then onto painting it. 

Thanks guys!

There was a few places that I tightened up the welds. I missed a few areas. Small stuff

So I added a few things as well when I was down working on it. 

1) Another swivel leg for the counter top.

2) Second was a stop so when sliding the counter top over it don't fall all the way off.

I just sanded down some welds, not all of them just the ones mostly on top of the FB. This way I can use it as a warmer for whatever. Tortillas, bread, heat up the next sticks of wood etc. 

I am now ready for the sand blaster. 

My buddy came and blasted the smoker today. I got it vacuumed up, knocked off all the hitch hikers and got it de buggered and ready for paint! After Paint I will gasket the CC Door and then Season the Grates on the first cook!

Does the brush on BBQ paint work any good or should I just stick with the spray bomb 500* engine paint?

Last edited:
Just a heads up. I don't know what type paint your going to use but I do have to say I am very well pleased with the Rustoleum 1200 degree paint. I didn't know how it was going to stay on the fire box with out burning off. It hasn't moved,flaked or burned.... got it on sale at Lowe's and scored a good price... don't know if there's still a sale but this stuff is great IMHO...

[h3]Rust-Oleum 15-oz Hi Heat Ultra Bonus Spray Paint[/h3]
stars_review_45.gif
 (6 Reviews)

$1.22

Was: $4.89

Save  75%  thru 04/16/2015

In-Store only

My 2 cents

Joe

Just a heads up. I don't know what type paint your going to use but I do have to say I am very well pleased with the Rustoleum 1200 degree paint. I didn't know how it was going to stay on the fire box with out burning off. It hasn't moved,flaked or burned.... got it on sale at Lowe's and scored a good price... don't know if there's still a sale but this stuff is great IMHO...

[h3]Rust-Oleum 15-oz Hi Heat Ultra Bonus Spray Paint[/h3]
stars_review_45.gif
 (6 Reviews)

$1.22

Was: $4.89

Save  75%  thru 04/16/2015

In-Store only

My 2 cents

Joe
Well this is why I asked the question! I will be using the same stuff you did. I don't want to try and re invent the wheel!

Thanks for the info. After I change the inner tubes on my daughters bike. I will be off to Lowes to get the goods!

Louis~

Ok, the smoker is officially done! Painted, Gauges installed and new hardware after the sand blast for the "Gold Bling" Lol

I also installed the Lava Lock Gasket around the CC Door and since I had enough material I did both Steps on the FB Door!

Paint has to cure over night as well as the Gaskets. After that it is time for seasoning the inside of the cook chamber and the first cook. 

I am thinking Pork Butts and a Couple Tri Tips for its very first cook. 

Last edited:
Reactions: gary s

How many coats.... Need about 4 to 5 coats minimum
More than 5 coats on all the hot areas including the exhaust stack. The non hot areas probably got at least 3. I used 12 Cans. 

Oh and it was $5.49 per can at Hank's Hardware in town.

Last edited:
5.49 Ouch!boykjo you stole that at 1.22 MD I have used that same paint on my little tractor muffler and it's still black as the day I painted it after a long summer of mowing so it should be worth it.

Seasoning the Cook Chamber. I think I have the vents wired. I can hold temps wherever I want. It has been running for about 4 hours.

It holds 225-250* very easy... Like set it and forget it easy. Pretty sure I will be able to hold any cook temperature I need to cook with!

I am well pleased with the turn out. It hardly uses any fuel either once everything heats up. Oh.... It does not leak any smoke from anywhere. 100% Sealed without a doubt!

Again I appreciate all the help, advice, calculations etc form everyone!

Louis~

Well I officially have finished my first cook on the smoker! 

I did 2 - 8 pound pork butts. Took 9 hours and the stuff was the best Pork I have had in my life! Gosh dang!

I started the smoker about 6:15 this morning using Lump Charcoal and my weed burner. After lighting the lump I put the weed burner under the Reverse Flow plate for a couple minutes to pre heat it and then shut the FB Door with the lower vent all the way open & the cross flow vent closed all the way. 10 minutes later I was at 250*. I then adjusted the lower vent to about 1/5th open and put the upper cross flow vent about the same. 

I let it go for about 1 hour like that before setting the meat in the CC. Temp held 250*, before I set the meat I opened up the FB door and put 2 more lumps in it, then set about 4 chunks of wood away from the main coals about 3" and separated a few inched apart. It started smoking real good right away, then I set the meat. I used a rub I had and added garlic powder, Onion powder and 3 cups of brown sugar to prep the butts. 

I cooked it around 235-250*  & After 5 hours of smoking, the meat was at 165*,  I then triple wrapped them with foil and went another 3 hours to 190*. I then took them off set them on a tray with a thick beach towel on the counter first, then I set 2 more big beach towels around the top of everything and let them stand for about 1 hour. The bone basically fell off the meat as soon as I touched it. 

My family came over about 8 of us total. They all said it was the best Pork they have ever tasted. 

I will do some Tri Tips most likely on Wednesday this week. 

Heck Yes!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky