New guy on the block needs some pointers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dennyd928

Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
Hello all!

My name is Denny and I'm from PA. 

I'm relatively new to smoking, and always looking for new ideas and recepes.

I've done the usual - ribs,chops, trout, & chicken, but welcome ANY new processes & cuts of meat.

Tomorrow I want to smoke a small beef roast - 2lb. bottom round, and appreciate any recepes for beef roasts.

Do I put water in the pan?  Do I rub it and wrap & refrigerate for a few hours? What rack do I use?

Thanks,

Denny

First off welcome!!!  Lots of good recipes in the food section. I have never done a bottom round but I bet its good done low and slow!  Drape some bacon on it maybe.  Heck I don't know but let us know how it turns out.   Just took my jalapeno jerky out.   Good and it has a kick!

Welcome to SMF!

IMHO if it was mine

I would either brine it or inject it with a beef stock.

Rub it with a rub high in black pepper, garlic, and onion powder and low in spicy pepper.

I would set the pit to 225-240 and smoke it to an IT of 140.  I personally would slice it up and use it for sandwiches, but you could eat it warm as well with a side of gravy.

Good Luck!!!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Draping bacon is a good idea. MillerBuilds is on target. Keep it simple. 140 will give you a medium rare but if you want it falling apart tender cook it until a toothpick, or temp probe, slips in easily like going into warm butter. THEN it is falling apart tender.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky