Some Pork Butt Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

traveling_matt34

Original poster
Dec 29, 2023
Hi all, kind of new to the forum but been a lurker for quite awhile. Doing some Costco Butts overnight tonight. I'm used to bone in and looks like Costco does boneless. I dry brined and trimmed but during that process noticed that the boneless ends up being a pretty loose layout of flaps and whatnot. A few questions:

1) Do you truss up boneless butt?
2) If so do you add your rub to the areas that will end up "inside" the mass when everything is trussed up or just the exterior surface after trussing?
3) Any special needs with thermometer placement with trussing? So that the tip doesn't end up poking into a spot in between the folds?

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Get your rub inside and out, tie it up and smoke it same as a bone in. You will need to hit an IT of 140 in 4 hrs since it was deboned, but other than that, smoke it like usual.

Get your rub inside and out, tie it up and smoke it same as a bone in. You will need to hit an IT of 140 in 4 hrs since it was deboned, but other than that, smoke it like usual.
edited since I meant 140 in 4 hrs, not 40.

I dry the butt and then turn around spritz it with water and then rub it up everywhere and cinch it up. Some guys guys apply mustard and then the rub but I found the water does just fine and isn't such a mess

I suppose I'm in the minority as I rarely ever tie a BB. I can recall one time where there must have been a rookie butcher at the Piggly Wiggly that looked like it had been in a knife fight and lost. I had to net that poor thing. The good news was more surface area for rub! 😎

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky