New from Mexico

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

h2oman

Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Ok, here it goes. Been living in Mexico for the past 6 years, retired on the Sea of Cortez fishing. I'm originally from San Diego and did a lot of smoking there, mainly Tuna from my long range trips down the Baja. Here though in Mexico nobody smokes. So after all this time I've decided to build a smoker, nothing fancy mind you but I miss all the sausages, briskets, pulled pork that is non existent here. So weather here is extreme. From November to February it gets down to 40 degrees and daytime temps to 75. March to May it is perfect 50's to 80's. Then comes the summer with 80% humidity, 95 highs and lows in the 80's. That lasts for 4 months. Thought about insulating my vertical box I want to build but there really is no type of insulation here that would work. They build everything in brick and mortar. No fiberglass, fiberboard, but they have some styrofoam, not sure that is safe. None of it is designed for heat. After over thinking this build for the last year I'm just going to go for it and see what happens. I am building a 48"h x 30"w x 24"d x 1/2" plywood. I have a 1100w Imusa electric burner (not plate) for the heat source. I will cut out the bottom for the coils to fit up into the box so the unit is out of the heat. A local welder will make 5 shelves out of angle iron and expanded metal once built. We are traveling to the states for Thanksgiving and at that time I will pick up some silicone and gaskets for the door (heat rated). A friend came today from Tucson and brought me a damper and stack for the vent and parts to build a cold smoke generator. You just can't go to your local big box store and get what you want. I have to order on line then drive up to the states to get what I need. It's a 6 hour drive on Mexican roads. Any encouragement or ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like your plan will work. Of course we are going to require pictures of your build.

Sounds like your plan will work. Of course we are going to require pictures of your build.
I will send pics, but right now I have a project of rebuilding my 4 stroke outboard. My friend I mentioned yesterday from Tucson also brought down the rebuild kits for the carbs. So right now it is windy and HOT, good time to fix the boat. Water is to warm to fish anyways, 90 degrees, the Yellowtail are real deep. I'm also looking for an old kitchen stove to salvage the insulating blanket inside the shell to wrap my smoker. Can't wait to smoke some fish!

There are a few people with plywood smokers. some use a gas burner. Also you could use the famous "Mailbox" attachment. Best of luck to ya and welcome..
Johnny B
giphy (2).gif

Welcome brother. One suggestion I might make, you mentioned they build a lot of pits out of masonry. That's really the old school way of cooking anything that goes back to antiquity. If you build a double walled unit you should have the very best insulated cooker imaginable. Just maintain an air gap between the walls and you're good to go. What ever you end up building we'd love some pix.

Keep those Coronas limed and enjoy ole Me-he-co !!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky