New BBQ Pitmasters season started Sunday...!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bruno994

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Buna, Texas
For any of you that are interested, the newest season of BBQ Pitmasters has begun on Destination America channel.  According to show producer John Markus, this is not really season 4, but season 3.5.  It is more a continuation of season 3, not sure what he means by that, but he's the producer.  Sunday night was Texas night (near and dear to my heart being a Texas comp cook) so they were cooking brisket and cowboy steak, it featured only 1 comp cook (Ernest of Burnt Bean Co.) and 1 restaurant owner (Buzzie of Buzzies BBQ from Kerrville) and 1 restaurant pitmaster (Will from Lockhart Smokehouse out of Dallas). 

You got a sense that the 2 restaurant guys weren't sure about the whole comp thing, but their end products spoke well for their pit-manship.  After getting a look at the turnins and talking to a few others on a comp forum, it was obvious that the show has made more of a turn to a 'BBQ cooking comp' and moved away from the 'comp bbq cooking' arena.  In other words, it's all about the meat and not about the presentation, which I have no problem with, it's still BBQ on TV and after football, I can watch that anytime.  Buzzies BBQ ended up winning the showdown, impressing judge, native Texan and fellow restraunteur Aaron Franklin with both his brisket and steak.  Next Sunday is the battle for Georgia bragging rights.

For those like me that enjoy BBQ TV, there are several other shows running on numerous channels that if you want to do a search and set the DVR to record they are interesting as well.  Travel Channel has a few, 'BBQ Paradise', 'Ribs Paradise' to name a couple.  Destination America also has the Ultimate BBQ Showdown, it ran immediatley after Pitmasters this Sunday.  Cooking Channel has 'Man Fire Food' and a few others as well. 

I enjoyed the show.  Being from the East coast, I've never heard of a Cowboy cut, but they all looked delicious.  I enjoy Myron's commentary about what flavor profiles he is looking for (ex. brisket rubs shouldn't be sugar based, rather salt and pepper based).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky