Need suggestions with First Chuck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

that-guy

Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
WINTER HAVEN, FLORIDA
I just pulled a 2.4LBS Chuck roast about 2" thick that I plan on smoking for dinner Saturday evening. I would like to get as close to sliced brisket as I can. What would you recommend for time and temp?
Thanks in advance

I did a couple a while back - here is the step by step.

Actually have a chuck pot roast in the fridge I am going to do Friday, so let me know how it goes please.

John

I always incorporate a wrapped step with my chuck roasts for both moistness and tenderness. So basically I inject with a jazzy beef broth, smoke 2 -3 hours until I like the color. The internal will be from 150° to 165°. Then I transfer to a foil pouch (of foil pan), adding some onion slices, maybe pepper slices and some beefy broth and return to the pit to tender up. For slicing your are looking north of 175° and it probes tender, but slightly firm. For pulling you want it to probe very tender, about like cold peanut butter. The internals will be north of 198°, but trust the feel of the probe.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Follow either of John's (Smokin' in AZ) recipes, you'll be fine. His Bourbon roast looks as good as anything I've seen.
Also, as thirdeye mentioned, go by probe feel

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky