Need some advice! Masterbuilt 30"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimb0slic3

Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
I have a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker (actually my 2nd one), and the last couple times ive used it the smoke consistency is horrible. My Pops said its like a dry smoke, best way i can describe it is its like burning teated wood or plastic(when it comes out its harsh and burns my eyes and i cant breathe) also its leaving the food to taste bitter...
This didnt happen at all before, Ive bought different wood chips, changed my temps, tried a different outlet, even bought a new smoker last week... what could i be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance guys!

I don't own an electric smoker, but it sounds like you are using too much wood chips and/or you are getting a dirty burn on the chips you are using... if I had an electric smoker, I'd want it for the convenience primarily and adding wood chips all the time doesn't sound like much of a step up from smoking on wood or charcoal.

A lot of guys use amazin pellet smokers (I have one and use it for cold smoking) in their mes... It's quite popular here and the owner is a member... he's the link and search around here and you'll see tons of people use it with various methods for their mes.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Sounds like you might be getting creosote with that bitterness you mentioned. Could be poor air flow, Seems like most of us with the MES do not use the wood chips, instead we use the Amazen Pellet Smoker that Uzikaduzi describe above.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky