Need small engine help - snow blower and its snowing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Get ya a predator engine from harbor freight. I put one on my old roto tiller a couple years ago and it starts in 2 -- 3 pulls max. I don't use the walk behind tiller much anymore since I got the 7 foot 3 point tiller for my tractor. Yeah, I'm getting lazy in my old age. My tiller had a 5 horse briggs. The predator is 6.5, but same shaft size as the engine it replaced.
I have heard good things about those motors if that is what is needed, but I like your overkill thinking with the tractor:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: bigfurmn
I have heard good things about those motors if that is what is needed, but I like your overkill thinking with the tractor:emoji_laughing:
Not sure it's overkill lol. it took about 3 hours to till the whole thing with the walk behind. Now about an hour or less depending on how much of a pain in the ass the tiller wants to be when hooking it to the tractor.

Right after I repainted it.

tiller.jpg

Last edited:
I have heard good things about those motors if that is what is needed
The predator sold by HF is basically a Honda knockoff, and from what I've read, a lot of the internals interchange. I haven't seen much negative about them other than, well, China. But honestly, no matter what you buy these days, the Chinese got their hand in it somewhere. I've bought quite a few things that are made in the USA, but sourced from global materials, and can pretty safely bet I know the source of those materials.

I live in sunny CA, what is this snow stuff you guys speak of???:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

It’s an annual ritual where all the guys stand around in freezing blizzards and brag about their snowblowers.

This thread has four pages of replies about a carburetor. Hell, they are just getting warmed up. Wait till they get to cup holders and enclosed cabs.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
It’s an annual ritual where all the guys stand around in freezing blizzards and brag about their snowblowers.

This thread has four pages of replies about a carburetor. Hell, they are just getting warmed up. Wait till they get to cup holders and enclosed cabs.
yeah we stick our cans of beer in the snow until we finish using the blower...well almost wait till we finish

Reactions: DougE
yeah we stick our cans of beer in the snow until we finish using the blower...well almost wait till we finish

So in the spring, after the snow melts, there are empty beer cans rolling around all over the place?

Interesting place. I must visit sometime.

Another thing you can try before you go tearing into the carb, start the engine with the air filter/ cleaner off of it. Get up as many RPMs as you can, then snuff the engine out by covering the throat of the carb with the palm of your hand or a wadded up shop rag. Do this a 5 or 6 times and see if it helps. What you're doing is creating vacuum inside the engine, which may suck the gunk out of the tiny fuel passages.
I've done this on lawn mowers, chain saws and outboard motors with success.
It's quick, easy and doesn't cost a penny, good luck.
Dan

Reactions: zwiller
Any preference how to use Sea Foam? I have used Stabil 360 a few years now but I think the damage is done on my blower and edger. Always starts but have to mess with the choke to keep them going. Definitely gonna do the forktender forktender trick.

Any preference how to use Sea Foam?

Drain the old gas from the tank and carb bowl and put in a small amount of fresh fuel. It depends on how large your fuel tank is if you are dosing the engine. If you are putting it in the engine tank, give it a decent dose, much more than the instructions. Run or crank it enough to fill the carb bowl. Let it set a few hours to soak, then try to run it again. While it is setting, clean and gap the spark plug. If it has a fuel filter, you may need to change it. Any crud in the tank will get cleaned too, and can clog the filter. Good luck!

Reactions: zwiller
Good this the Sta-Bil fast fix worked with fresh gas...got 18" of snow overnight and it started with rain so super heavy. burned a few gallons through it with no issues. 3 of m y neighbors have their blowers in the shop, so I blew their snow too. the plow pile in front of the driveways was over 24" and turning to ice. My beasty blower handled it no problem, thank god. While messing with the carb, i think i turned up the governor a smidge and its running a touch faster which is very nice. I think it was too low before, might be tough high now...may mess with it more after the storms pass - more snow coming tomorrow. we need the snow and water super bad - so no complaints there.

You have to be VERY careful when using these. Usually the smallest one will not fit in the idle/pilot jet... Also these cleaners are like files.. they have file like ribs on them.. they will make a larger diameter hole in the jet if you run it in and out to much... Thus making the jet richer and then the machine not run right... just saying ... Also have to be careful not to break the tip cleaner off in the jet ...
you use them if the jet or the ventura are clogged, carb cleaner does the rest. been doing this for about 55 years without a problem.

Reactions: DougE
Yeah!
My snowblower is across the street with the kids along with his 50 hp Boomer
Good this the Sta-Bil fast fix worked with fresh gas...
While messing with the carb, i think i turned up the governor a smidge and its running a touch faster which is very nice. I think it was too low before, might be tough high now...may mess with it more after the storms pass - more snow coming tomorrow. we need the snow and water super bad - so no complaints there.
I used to bump up the governor when I worked on snow blower engines.
Next spring when the snow is gone, I recommend changing the fuel line.

I used to bump up the governor when I worked on snow blower engines.
Next spring when the snow is gone, I recommend changing the fuel line.
I like it running a little faster. the orginal setting was just kinda putzing around. now it means business.

in the off season im thinking ill replace the carb, fuel lines, filter, valve the whole deal. Ive had the blower more than ten years.the Amazon kits have all these in one item purchase for ~$18. seems easy enough.

"Cheap's not good... and... Goods not cheap"
I generally agree with this, but the OEM carb is like $30 with no other parts and over 500 people give the Amazon one 4.7 stars. I kinda doubt there is much difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky