Need small engine help - snow blower and its snowing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought the Sta-Bil Fast Fix cleaner. I have used their gas stabilizer for years with all my small engine gas and motorcycles with good success.

Yes the SB fast fix is good stuff. If you can't get non-ethanol for the blower buy the "blue" 360 both Sta-bil (vs the Red) and treat it every time. It is made for ethanol gas and the marine environment with higher humidity and potential water in the tank

PS, I have the same snow blower and had the same issue 2 years ago....SB Fast Fix bingo......... I wasn't so lucky with my genny, i know run shelf stabilized fuel in my genny because its carb is smaller so smaller "hole" more likely to plug....plug is a full carb and jet clean..... partial run is a Fast Fix......

Mine ran kind of wonky all year last year. I have a huge MTD gold. I had to leave the choke slightly turned a little less than run. It ran ok like that all winter but would idle a little rough at times. Heck I didn’t know you could buy entire replacement carbs so cheap. Wonder if that’s what I need too. I’m about as mechanically inclined as a newborn monkey.
Replacing the carb on most equipment is super easy, and there are YouTube vids to walk you though most applications.

You're lucky that you live closer than me, or I'd steal your idea.

Last edited:
get yourself a set of welding tip cleaner rods, clean out all passages and you should be good to go. And if you want to clean up any tarnish use some carb cleaner will look like new. Been doing this for years. but the carbs on line are real cheap they are easy to fix.

get yourself a set of welding tip cleaner rods, clean out all passages and you should be good to go. And if you want to clean up any tarnish use some carb cleaner will look like new. Been doing this for years. but the carbs on line are real cheap they are easy to fix.
Took me less than 20 minutes to replace a neighbors carb with an $18 Amazon one for his blower.

Yes the SB fast fix is good stuff. If you can't get non-ethanol for the blower buy the "blue" 360 both Sta-bil (vs the Red) and treat it every time. It is made for ethanol gas and the marine environment with higher humidity and potential water in the tank

PS, I have the same snow blower and had the same issue 2 years ago....SB Fast Fix bingo......... I wasn't so lucky with my genny, i know run shelf stabilized fuel in my genny because its carb is smaller so smaller "hole" more likely to plug....plug is a full carb and jet clean..... partial run is a Fast Fix......
I will look for the blue kind. Im sure I can buy it online if HD does carry it. All the winter gas here has ethanol, so its gonna be a thing.

Replacing the carb on most equipment is super easy, and there are YouTube vids to walk you though most applications.
Yup - already watched the vid super easy. Im ready. I was just not thrilled about doing it in a freezing cold garage during a storm, looks like I bought some time for now.

Took me less than 20 minutes to replace a neighbors carb with an $18 Amazon one for his blower.
Got the $18 dollar one in my cart right now. we have kids in town and are entertaining through the holidays so it will happen soon. Maybe not right away tho.

thanks again guys! I love all the help and support on SMF!

Reactions: forktender
I never drain the gas out of any seasonal equipment. I just fill the tank after adding a healthy dose of Sta-Bil Marine grade and run for 5 minutes before putting the machine away. NEVER had a problem .

18+ inches of snow yesterday and early this morning. My 40ish year old snowblower stopped working half way through the job. Might be time for a new one.

Once you get it fixed I strongly recommend doing two things. First is to buy ethanol free gasoline for any lawn/snow power tools. Second is once you're done with whatever tool for it's season, to drain or run the tool's fuel out. it will help prevent the issue.

welding tip cleaner rods

You have to be VERY careful when using these. Usually the smallest one will not fit in the idle/pilot jet... Also these cleaners are like files.. they have file like ribs on them.. they will make a larger diameter hole in the jet if you run it in and out to much... Thus making the jet richer and then the machine not run right... just saying ... Also have to be careful not to break the tip cleaner off in the jet ...

Reactions: chopsaw
You have to be VERY careful when using these. Usually the smallest one will not fit in the idle/pilot jet... Also these cleaners are like files.. they have file like ribs on them.. they will make a larger diameter hole in the jet if you run it in and out to much... Thus making the jet richer and then the machine not run right... just saying ... Also have to be careful not to break the tip cleaner off in the jet ...
The first 1/4 inch or so of the tip cleaners are slick, and I haven't in most cases, had to shove them in far enough to get to the file like part of the tip cleaner. You're only trying to poke the crud out of the holes so it can be blown out with carb cleaner, not ream them out.

I run ethanol free fuel in all my small engines. Check this website out. They also have an app for your phone.

RG
Great website. My hometown source wasn't listed so I made the entry.
If one has trouble finding ethanol free fuel at the gas pump, try your local airport. You'll pay sky high prices, but still cheaper than truFuel

If one has trouble finding ethanol free fuel at the gas pump, try your local airport. You'll pay sky high prices, but still cheaper than truFuel
Isn't that leaded tho ??
Possibly. There is 95 no lead and 99 LL
A small engine will be just fine on leaded fuel.

18+ inches of snow yesterday and early this morning. My 40ish year old snowblower stopped working half way through the job. Might be time for a new one.
That sucks meaning doesn't blow. Last I lived in the Twin Cities, the snowfalls all arrived in 16+ dumps.

I'd try to keep it going if possible. Nothing made today will come close to the quality of your old machine.

I'd try to keep it going if possible. Nothing made today will come close to the quality of your old machine.
Agree on that. I did not have the luxury of a classic one to hold on too. I had an American made Arians shipped from an authorized dealer in Chicago to my place in NY. I was not going to settle for a big box store, Chinese version of Arians they sell now. This thing is a beast!

Last edited:
I agree. I just think it's beyond repair. 5HP Briggs &Straton can't even get the rope to pull. Guess it's decsion time.
Get ya a predator engine from harbor freight. I put one on my old roto tiller a couple years ago and it starts in 2 -- 3 pulls max. I don't use the walk behind tiller much anymore since I got the 7 foot 3 point tiller for my tractor. Yeah, I'm getting lazy in my old age. My tiller had a 5 horse briggs. The predator is 6.5, but same shaft size as the engine it replaced.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky