Need help..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cinderbrick smoker

Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
I built a large cinderbrick smoker. Cook chamber is 32 w x 40d x 64h. My fire box is 33h x 30d x 29w. Intake is 9x10 and throat is 11 x 20. Chimney is 8 x 33.7. All figures were by pit calculator on Smokebuilder.com. My firebox is 3/8" plate as well as door to cook chamber. The firebox is insulated on all sides with roxul insulation. All cinderbrick voids are filled with cement for insulation.
Twice, I have had a good fire built but can't get.my temperatures over 100.
Smoke drafts good. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 20210102_131340.jpg
    20210102_131340.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: JLeonard
I'd bet all your heat is going straight from firebox to chimney. Looks like it should be reverse flow and if so you will need some baffles going from where the firebox enters smoker and all the way across with an opening to let heat enter on the left side of the cook chamber. I'm not an expert though others may be more helpful

HI CB and welcome from SE MN. There are a lot of smart folk in this outfit. I'm betting someone will be able to help you out. Judging frim the pic, I'd guess it would take considerable heat/time to get that mass to workable temp. Just my $0.02.

daveomak daveomak might be able to help you figure it out he's good with that sort of thing. You can send him a private message or he should see where I highlighted him to this thread

Reactions: Cinderbrick smoker
I'd bet all your heat is going straight from firebox to chimney. Looks like it should be reverse flow and if so you will need some baffles going from where the firebox enters smoker and all the way across with an opening to let heat enter on the left side of the cook chamber. I'm not an expert though others may be more helpful
Thanks for the reply. I actually extended the throat 24 inches from the firebox. Maybe needs to go further..

Reactions: TNJAKE
I would place digital temp probes in several places (or move one or two around) and see where and if it gets hotter than that.
Temp gauges placed in the door like that only sample right at the door.

Reactions: Cinderbrick smoker
Can you post a few more pictures of the inside and outside? How long did you let the fire burn? How big was the fire? What dampers do you have in the firebox door and in the chimney?

Can you post a few more pictures of the inside and outside? How long did you let the fire burn? How big was the fire? What dampers do you have in the firebox door and in the chimney?
Thanks for the reply.
The first fire wasn't very big. I was told to start small and work up. The fire yesterday was hot with a combo of charcoal and oak. I checked it for over four hours while playing with air in and air out. Draw seemed to work well.
I haven't finished it yet but, I did extend the throat 24 inches into the bottom of the cook chamber.

Attachments

• 20210103_155013.jpg
    20210103_155013.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210103_155025.jpg
    20210103_155025.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201205_122456.jpg
    20201205_122456.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201107_155001.jpg
    20201107_155001.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 15
With the hole for your heat to go through on the bottom I would think all of the heat is sitting in the top of your firebox and not flowing into the cook chamber. Heat rises. If you were to build the fire in the throat it would draw the heat into the cook chamber a lot better then a fire built by the firebox door. You also need airflow to draw the heat through.

With the hole for your heat to go through on the bottom I would think all of the heat is sitting in the top of your firebox and not flowing into the cook chamber. Heat rises. If you were to build the fire in the throat it would draw the heat into the cook chamber a lot better then a fire built by the firebox door. You also need airflow to draw the heat through.
Ok. Thanks. I will try to move the fire back.

Here are some more pictures . I have added a fire rack in firebox that raises my fire off of the floor by 4 inches. I also put a temp probe inside the cooking chamber. After playing with dampers in and out and even placing a small fan blowing into the intake, I only got my temp to 140 inside cooking chamber. I am kind of thinking that my throat is too small even though it is 100% of two different calculators.
Sorry to just now get back with you. Haven't had time to.work on it.

20210103_155025.jpg
20210103_155013.jpg
20210102_132615.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky