Need help with big piece of pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmatheson

Original poster
May 4, 2014
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
The wife brought home a big piece of pork for me to smoke for thanksgiving this weekend. I'm not sure what the cut is called but it has the loin, ribs and belly all together.

My biggest question is how to go about smoking it so that all the parts reach their ideal temp together and what the approx cooking time would be at 250ish degrees.

Any suggestions for prepping the meat, cooking techniques or even seasoning would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps I am using a 20" horizon offset smoker.

I also would separate it! Use a sharp knife and take as much of the belly off that you can until you hit a bone. Then take the loin part off of the bone. What you have left is ribs with some extra bones!!! Treat each piece of meat accordingly...

There's lots of recipes here for bacon, loins and ribs...

I'm assuming you don't have access to a band saw or a meat saw. If you did I would do it different!

I wish I had your dilemma!

Separating would be the easy way and my first choice but the wife wanted it done in one piece kindof like a whole hog. I guess I can always reassemble the pieces after they are cooked and no one will know

I would teeat as saiad as a whole hog. Do some looking around on the site for whole hog cooks. You will want to pack some sausage or other meat type item on the bone side of the loin, it will cook faster and dry out if not.

Buy yourself a meat saw.  They are not that expensive.  You can get one under 20 bucks in most places.  Leave about 6 inches of rib on the loin.  You have the whole pork loin the way it looks.  You could even cut the loin in half for easier handling.  Seperate the belly from the ribs.  I would brine the belly for bacon and you could do the ribs separately for the folks on Thanksgiving as well.  Would be nice to take the chime off the loin as well for easier slicing.  Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky