need help for firewood!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badboy2

Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
edison,new jersey
i have a DBS with single flue ..this will be my 3rd time smokin pork ribs..1st time was not good because the meat tasted like smoke..i thought i want white smoke and i learned it was the opposite,i was using charcoal and soaked  hickory wood..2nd time,the ribs were great but this time i used charcoal and apple wood .but it took me 6.5hrs on the smoker and i have to finish it up on my convection oven because ive used a whole 20lbs bag of charcoal and meat wasnt cooked after all that.then someone have told me that i just need to use 100% wood to get the temps i wanted,my problem is the local stores here only have birchwood and a kiln dried hardwood..i know most you guys uses oak ,maple or other fruit trees.are the 2 kinds of woods i mentioned good for cooking?are there some jersey guys here that maybe can hook me up with some wood?illbuy but free is  good too! hehethanks guys

It will help if we knew where you are.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

what do you mean?you only help people you know persnally?

anyway i just wanted to ask if birch wood or any kind of firewood theyre selling in home depot or other stores is good for cooking?

He is asking what part of the country your in to try to suggest what woods you might find in your area. I'd also ask what kind of smoker your using? Most smokers are made to smoke straight wood unless you pre burn it and add it as coals. There may be a modification or two that can be done to your smoker to make it perform much better

oh im sorry..im from edison,new jersey,i just built a double drum smoker on a budget.it has  a single flue with damper.i used the vogelzang kit.

Last edited:
In the yellow pages there might be an Orchard or 2 listed. They have lots of wood, some even free. Check at your local farmers market and ask folks that are selling fruit if they know of an orchard locally where you might get some wood.

Take a limb saw with you to cut it to length to fit your trunk. If you lived where I do, you would need snake boots or snake proof gaitors also.

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky