Need help ASAP!!! Is anyone awake?!?!?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

techsasgirl

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Lubbock, Texas
I have a couple of briskets on. One is 13 lbs and one is 10 lbs. I started them about 2pm today. I have had a few temperature fluctuations, but for the most part, I've kept a consistent 225-250. What's upsetting me is the fact that I just checked my IT out of curiosity, and one is already finished! It's only been 8 hours. I have an electronic thermometer. I checked its accuracy today with boiling water. It read correctly. And yes, it's in the thickest part of the brisket, and I inserted it sideways, so it's not protruding through the other side of the brisket. So now I'm really upset because my bark hasn't even had time to get thick and crusty. Will it hurt if I leave it in the smoke until I'm satisfied with my bark? I pray someone is still up and sees this post tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

What the IT on them ?
Last week I did one and had to go to work for few hours.
When I got home the IT WAS 217 . still was moist and tender
Turn out great .

My IT is 207. I was planning on pulling it off at 205. But like I said, my bark isn't thick and dark like I want it. Can I keep smoking it at a slightly lower temp until my bark is thick, or will that toughen the meat or make it bitter?

What is a full packer brisket?
At 10 and 13 I am guessing your briskets are packers.... usually the flat only ones only weigh about 6 or 7 pounds. If you briskets are about 2x as thick at one end as the other, then you have packers, the extra thickness comes from the point which is actually another chunk of meat laying ontop of the flat at one end. That being said check the IT in both the point and the flat, the point has a lot of fat in it and if you are in a fat pocket it can read higher than if you are in muscle.

If it reads the same in both places then another option is to fire up the grill and high heat grill it for about 2 to 4 minutes per side, this wont be enough to ruin the tenderness, but it will set your bark.

Excellent information! Very helpful. Mine are untrimmed briskets, so yeah, I guess they're packers. I am going to recheck the IT here in a minute and make sure that I'm not in fat. I thought I should check the thickest part of the brisket because thats how I would check a chicken (in the thigh). Ok. I'll check it in meat to be sure. I appreciate you. Do you have any advice (if you're still up, lol) on how I should reheat these bad boys without losing my bark? I was thinking of putting them in the oven at 225 until they hit 205 again. Or will that make them tough?

Are they currently on the smoker? and at what IT?

If they are on the smoker let the smoker bring them up to at least 195°, then just high heat them, wrap in foil and rest for 1 hr. min., and you are good to go.

Last edited:
I am guessing you are not eating these tonight, so after the 1 hr. rest pop them in the fridge, then 4 hrs. before you are going to eat put them in a 225° oven for 4 hrs. to re-heat, then slice and enjoy!

You don't think I'm feeding my family at 2:30 in the morning?!?!? LOL I think they're going to finish in about 2 hours. I rechecked them, making sure I was in meat rather than fat. The IT is about 195. I'm going to babysit them until they're done. I'll reheat like you recommended in the above post for a BBQ dinner tomorrow.

Sounds like you are in the money zone!
biggrin.gif

On a side note try pushing a butter knife into the flat portion if it slide in easy you should pull them off, if not let them keep going. You just don't want to sacrifice tenderness  for bark when it comes to brisket. Here is a great thread done a while back by SmokinAl, I use this method now and love the results!

I think that the triming above the meat is genius. I have an offset direct flow smoker with only one rack, so I can't try that just yet. However, I'm looking into getting a bigger smoker. I think I have my hubby on board. I think I've talked his capitan into having a cook-off in July, so maybe I'll get one!!! lol

don"t forget some Q-views
popcorn.gif

put two butts on this morning , now wishing I had a brisket to go with it.

one I did last week is all gone
icon_sad.gif

Whatever happened to the Brisket!?!?!?!?  I'd like to see something to remind me of what I never had.

I did two on Saturday, both 11 pounders, and they were gone before I got the sausage, ABTs, Fatties, and chicken off the smoker.  Man, the family and friends can EAT!!!

Happy Memorial Day.
usa.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky