NEED ADVICE ON SLICING PASTRAMI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
Hope everyone is following guidelines and staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. WOW, right? I am doing my first pastrami from scratch and need advice on using a meat slicer when serving.

Wife only likes very thin slices. In the past we have used an electric knife, but cannot get it thin enough. I have an excellent meat slicer, very sharp 8" blade and slices roast beef very thin.

I know when the pastrami is finished at 195-200', it is very tender and most likely fall apart when trying to slice on the slicer. I was thinking of putting in the fridge overnight, once it is finished cooking. Take out the next day and slicing the portions needed cold, then steam it and serve hot.

Will it be firm enough cold the next day so it will not fall apart on the slicer? I'd rather not find out the hard way, LOL.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

When cold the gelatin solidifies, binding the fibers together. Slice across the grain and you can get it thin. Since slicing so thin, there is no need to smoke it to 200, pull it at 185 and it will yield nicer slices...JJ

When cold the gelatin solidifies, binding the fibers together. Slice across the grain and you can get it thin. Since slicing so thin, there is no need to smoke it to 200, pull it at 185 and it will yield nicer slices...JJ
Thanks, sounds like great advice! I will do that. I'm assuming once I steam the slices, it will still be very tender, especially sliced so thin. Correct?

Yep. Steam is very effective at tenderizing meat. Add Thin Across the Grain and you will be happy...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out. It's in the brine now, most likely cooking next Saturday.

It sounds like you are finishing your pastrami on the smoker, but there are some other options to explore at some point. Final internal temp is not always the objective. For example, a natural finish like you might be doing, foil finish: which is sort of like braising, steam finish: like many deli's do, and pressure finish: as in a pressure cooker.

For slicing, yes you are on the right track with chilling and maybe 45 minutes in the freezer. Treat it like beef jerky prep. This is a pastramied round roast, chilled and sliced < 1/8", but you get the idea.

qHaPoUc.jpg

Here are is a pastramied brisket flat which I pressure finished. Hot sandwiches with some Aujus for dipping are hard to beat.
g132oej.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615
It sounds like you are finishing your pastrami on the smoker, but there are some other options to explore at some point. Final internal temp is not always the objective. For example, a natural finish like you might be doing, foil finish: which is sort of like braising, steam finish: like many deli's do, and pressure finish: as in a pressure cooker.

For slicing, yes you are on the right track with chilling and maybe 45 minutes in the freezer. Treat it like beef jerky prep. This is a pastramied round roast, chilled and sliced < 1/8", but you get the idea.

qHaPoUc.jpg

Here are is a pastramied brisket flat which I pressure finished. Hot sandwiches with some Aujus for dipping are hard to beat.
g132oej.jpg
Looks incredible. I'm going for the Deli flavor, that's why it'll be a steamed finish. The freezer for 45 minutes is very interesting, would definitely make slicing easier. I've been waiting to try freezing a Beef round or boneless Ribeye, partially cooked, and slicing for cheesesteak sandwiches.
Thanks for the great info, and excellent photos.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky