need a vacuum sealer need everyone opinion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mudduck

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
nettleton ms.
need a vacuum sealer got a seal-a-meal it lasted a month
i need a good one for the money i see a lot of food savers
what is the best model
and i like the vacUseal kinda high though

Foodsaver is good brand. I also have a B&D. I think the key to them lasting longer is to freeze beforehand whatever you are saving if it is a "juicy" item. ie, any fresh meat, juicy fruit or veggies, etc. If the moisture is sucked into the motor, goodbye ol' paint. Cheese, nuts, such as that can be saved as is. Then again, any mechanical/electrical device can go belly-up at a whim.

I've had the Foodsaver V2460 for a little over a year now (received for Christmas 2008) and it's been great so far, though the last time I had it out it was acting up some. I'm hoping that was a fluke. I'll know more tomorrow, because I'll be vacuum sealing a bunch of slice venison bacon.

As I said, the model I have has been great for me. I've frozen veggies, loads of pulled pork, venison bacon, venison summer sausage, raw steaks and chicken, etc. I also bought one of the marinading containers and have used that many times, though I can't really say for sure that speeds the flavorizing process up the way it says it does.

The Foodsaver brand bags and rolls are pretty expensive, but I've found that the Cabelas brand, a generic brand at Wal-Mart, and a brand that Sportsman's Warehouse carries are much cheaper and work just as well.

You definitely won't regret having a vacuum sealer. Let us know what you decide on and how it treats you.

just picked up a 3440 last night.........havent ued it yet.

I have a food saver now, has served me fine for a long time.

Like anything if you take care of it, most likely it will last.

From what I have read the vac sealer is a much better unit.

Some reasons that I will buy one next time.

1. pulls more vacume.

2. ability to get replacemnet parts

3 the vacume pump will tollerate liquid, i think this is probably what causes foodsavers to stop working.

Just my 2 cents, I look on Ebay every once in a while for one.

I've had a Cabela's CG-15 for a couple of years now and have packed so much meat and fish with it that I couldn't even say how much, and it works just like the day I got it except now it's time to replace the sealing strip, which they include free with it. With normal home use you might never have to change the strip. You can see it at http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/pod/0030017.shtml .

unless you get an old foodsaver like the ones hounds51 has given links for in another thread, the newer foodsavers are very very troublesome. they are very suseptible to moisture issues.for the casual user who does dry products or can prefreeze meats then they ok. if you got a couple deer or elk needing packing then prefreeze aint a viable solution unles u have one heck of a freezer. i have 2 freezers and dont have the room to prefreeze. not to mention you have to double touch each piece. the vacupak, same as the old tilia foodsavers, is the ticket and in the not so very long time will pay for itself in the money saved on replacement units. just my opinion which is based on 10-15 years of vac packing. if only i would a got a vacupak from the start...

got a old foodsaver off ebay that hounds51 link
wish me luck 42.00 + 17.00 shiping
thanks to all and hounds51

I have an older model food saver about 2 years old now. I have used it alot and repackage everything I buy and it still chugging right along. I hear that the new ones are some chinese pieces of poo poo.

blew through 2 11'' and 2 8'' rolls so far and not a problem...............yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky