Natural Gas smoker...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myrkk

Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
New to the Forum.

I live in a town home where they do not allow Charcoal grills & smokers. Thus is why I am looking for a gas smoker.

Is there a natural gas smoker worth getting? I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t been able to locate one.

If I had a propane smoker how long would my average propane bottle last me at 225 degrees?

Thanks for any answers

Myrkk

Welcome to SMF...I get about 30 hours out of my tankful in the winter here

I bought a MB propane and I only got about 14 hours out of a tank. I switched it over to NG and now I'm not sure how much I'm using. I'm going to buy the new MES just for the convenience of the unit. For me... being able to set a temp and leave is going to increase the amount of smoked food I get to eat. The gas smoker is not going to take the attention a stick burner or charcoal would, but you still have to be attentive. I tried to do an all night smoke and was scared to death to go to sleep with the gas unit cooking. I'm gonna end up with all three and cook on the one that fits the timing. Out of all that I have used, the electric is the least trouble to smoke with. I think the electric is the most cost effective also, but that's just from my experience.

Where the heck do you live????????????
confused.gif
confused.gif

Mine is in a barn....not heated, but out of the elements and no breeze to deal with

I live near San Jose CA. My neighbors complain about the the smoke from coals
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif

Jack,

I wish it was that easy. These people just love to complain. When I washing my truck in front of my garage they complain that I am taking up to much space.

I live in what they call luxury town homes and they are upset a person like me moved in.

To bad for them, I am not leaving and will smoke my meats with a gas heat source instead of coals.

For Reference I was using a Weber Smokey Mountain. Love that smoker.

You might want to consider coverting your smoker to NG, instead of buying one. I live in SoCal and use a GOSM big block, average smoking time on a 20 lb. tank is between 25-30 hrs. at 225 temps. Tanks do vary slightly in size. Here's something I posted awhile back. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=16091

It's too bad you have neighbors like that. They'd have a real fit if I was there smoking my cigars.
icon_evil.gif

HAHAH

Everyone here is great. I am glad we are all on the same page. I appreciate the suggestions.

I already told my brother inlaw that he could have my WSM I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t take that back.

Besides how good is the Natural Gas converter? Are they any good?

gas burners are very simple but effective. Once again, Academy Sports has a great vertical gas burner for $128 and it IS ALL STAINLESS!!
oh, WELCOME, myrkk!

Only on the left coast !
If your neighbors complain about smoke then they will complain about smoke from your gas rig.
if ya ain't adding chips or chunks , you are just doing bbq.
best thing i can say is tell your neighbors to KMA!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky