NAKED TURKEY BREAST

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Well we are still rummaging through the freezer for things we can use up without having to make frequent trips to the store. I had a turkey breast in there from last fall that we had bought on sale around Thanksgiving. Decided I would try something different with this one. I did this one naked(not me the turkey breast lol) usually I do them at higher temps so the skin doesn't turn out like rubber. But I wanted to try one out at a little lower temp so it could get as much wood flavor as posible. At these lower temps the skin is just plain worthless so I just tossed the skin and used a rub.

I cut out the back and saved that for later use.
0329201207.jpg

Then I rubbed it down with my pumpkin pie rub. This is a real simple rub that goes good on pork too. Equal parts of your favorite all-purpose rub, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice . you can check it out on a tenderloin here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fall-pork-tenderloin-with-apple-topping.291745/

Skin removed,rubbed down and waiting for the smoker to heat up
0329201330.jpg

I got busy making sides so no picks of it on the smoker. It was raining that day too so I was making quick trips in and out. I ran the UDS at 225° with cherry chunks. Pulled the breast at about 150 then wrapped for a 20 min rest before slicing.
Here is one half of the breast. The other half was wrapped up and into the fridge for the boys lunches later in the week.
0329202207b.jpg

Sliced up
0329202213.jpg

And on the plate with some green bean casserole,mashed potatoes and some stuffing.
0329202225.jpg

I was pretty happy with how it came out. The surface did want to dry out but spritzing with Apple juice every so often helped with that. The flavors of this rub goes perfect with a turkey dinner like this. I think that the apple butter glaze that chilerelleno chilerelleno just posted would have been a great addition to this turkey. Especially with the flavors already in the rub. Next time I'll try something like that to finish it off. Thanks for taking a look!

Looks real good Travis. It's been to long since turkey has seen one of my grates.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks Great, Travis!!
THat's got "Sammies" Written all over it !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Tossed the skin????? What???? Dude you need to save the skin to make schmaltz! People have been banned for offenses like this!

Naked birds are tasty and yours look great!

Looks real good Travis. It's been to long since turkey has seen one of my grates.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I was glad I dug this out of the freezer. Been a while for me too!

Tossed the skin????? What???? Dude you need to save the skin to make schmaltz! People have been banned for offenses like this!

Naked birds are tasty and yours look great!
Wellll...i didn't literally toss it! Its in a bag with the back in the freezer. I was going to make stock with all of it. Never made schmaltz before. Maybe I should try it out.

That’s a beautiful breast Travis, the turkey that is. Those sliced shots have me drooling. The pumpkin pie rub sounds really good on it too!

That’s a beautiful breast Travis, the turkey that is. Those sliced shots have me drooling. The pumpkin pie rub sounds really good on it too!
Thanks xray! Give that pumpkin pie rub a try sometime. Next time I use it is going to be on a cured butt for pulled ham.

Wellll...i didn't literally toss it! Its in a bag with the back in the freezer. I was going to make stock with all of it. Never made schmaltz before. Maybe I should try it out.
Schmaltz makes some of the best pie crust or chocolate chip cookies around. The gribenes is tasty as a salad topper.

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky