My uds build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW This thing stinks in my basement.   LOL

I once built a smoker out of a stainless barrel. it was bigger than 55gal. I think more like 70. I used it in the upright position in order to keep  the heat as far away from the meat as possible just to give me more control. I did all of my cutting with a jig saw with fine tooth metal cutting blades,(a LOT of blades!) I used bolted on L brackets ( I did'nt have the capability to weld stainless) to hold 2 round weber type grill racks. One at the top about 4" down and the 2nd about 8" below that. I cut a hinged door at the bottom to get to the fuel box and drilled some small holes around the bottom just providing enough ox. to keep things going with the door closed and simply opened the door to let more air in if needed. For the top I drilled evenly spaced holes in the removable lid. I found the domed top to my weber kettle grill fit over the top almost perfectly to make a nice controllable draught. It worked well for me for many years. My neighbor gave her the name "Old broad top" Just be sure to clean and burn out that barrel well !

I once built a smoker out of a stainless barrel. it was bigger than 55gal. I think more like 70. I used it in the upright position in order to keep  the heat as far away from the meat as possible just to give me more control. I did all of my cutting with a jig saw with fine tooth metal cutting blades,(a LOT of blades!) I used bolted on L brackets ( I did'nt have the capability to weld stainless) to hold 2 round weber type grill racks. One at the top about 4" down and the 2nd about 8" below that. I cut a hinged door at the bottom to get to the fuel box and drilled some small holes around the bottom just providing enough ox. to keep things going with the door closed and simply opened the door to let more air in if needed. For the top I drilled evenly spaced holes in the removable lid. I found the domed top to my weber kettle grill fit over the top almost perfectly to make a nice controllable draught. It worked well for me for many years. My neighbor gave her the name "Old broad top" Just be sure to clean and burn out that barrel well !
sounds cool. Do you have any pics?

Happy smoken.

David

Do you still have the drum?

I wouldn't eat anything cooked in a barrel that was used for storing windshield washer fluid. Especially if it has orange rust in it.

I didn't use that barrel. I got a unlined one

Handles - great to lift the lift the lid and barrel!
Ash pan - great to catch ashes and grease!
Probe hole- nice to put your probe wires through instead of the lid!

Lol.. Farmer, Get-R-Done

just finished my double drum smoker yesterday got it burnt off and fired it up this morning to find out how it reacted. found it very easy to control temp. only bad thing is it eats charcoal. think im gonna line it with bricks. haven't painted it yet I think it looks pretty cool just like it is. thinking im gonna build an ash pan for it might be a pain otherwise. it sat for 4 hours today at 225-250 on half a bag of charcoal.

Handles - great to lift the lift the lid and barrel!
Ash pan - great to catch ashes and grease!
Probe hole- nice to put your probe wires through instead of the lid!

Lol.. Farmer, Get-R-Done
I plan on 2 shelves to use as handles and bigger intake vents.

Ash pan yes, lid handle no

I have gloves.

Still can't find handles I like. Might buy the big poppa one

I'm trying to plan out my mini UDS... I'm using the 90 elbows to vent, tel true therm,(2) 1" caps and (2) 3/4" ball valves for intakes (over kill I know) but when I want it hot I want it hot! I'm also am making a basket that I can adjust to sear with.

I am thinking I need to go with 1 in. Vents to get hotter temps.

Need ti do a thread on the mini uds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky