My uds build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have two barrels that I am going to make into UDS. I found a local sand blasting company that will do them inside and out for $20 ea. I'd ask around. The last barrel that I burnt out was awful The putrid black smoke couldn't have been good at all!
Hey Case i found a place to sand blast and apply a high heat powder coat for $75...can't beat that with a stick imo.   I'll probably drag it out there to get done sometime this early part of the summer, they'll have it for a few days which is one reason i wanted the mini!  ha ha.     Can't be going through smoker withdrawls!

Last edited:
I cant even find open top barrels.

Hey Case i found a place to sand blast and apply a high heat powder coat...can't beat that with a stick imo.   I'll probably drag it out there to get done sometime this early part of the summer, they'll have it for a few days which is one reason i wanted the mini!  ha ha.     Can't be going through smoker withdrawls!
Keith I saw that post. It got me thinking about doing the same thing. I'm going to talk to our metal fabricator that we use and see what kind of a deal he'll give me to powder coat these.

Last edited:
I guess I will keep the barrel I have and cut the top out of it. Get a dome lid to fit it.

I guess I will keep the barrel I have and cut the top out of it. Get a dome lid to fit it.
If you made your cut a 1 1/2"-2" below the top, you could add a metal band around the outside of the lid that would overlap the body. I have seen that done on some UDS builds before. I opened up Craigslist and in my area right now there are 5 bbq's that have lids that would work.

If you made your cut a 1 1/2"-2" below the top, you could add a metal band around the outside of the lid that would overlap the body. I have seen that done on some UDS builds before. I opened up Craigslist and in my area right now there are 5 bbq's that have lids that would work.
I thought of doing it that way.   I will have to check craigslist.

It took me a couple of phone calls to find a drum. I called different kinds of feed stores, checked Craig's List, etc. Even if you know they don't have drums, but are in industry or do farming anything, call. I found out about a local place that sold new and used drums from a place that sold drum accessories.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

I called my cousin who is a trucker and he knows of 2 people that might be able to get me one. I will keep looking also

I was wondering why you added a band to the top.  

I was wondering why you added a band to the top.  
Yep that's why he added the band... i went the other route since i had a good flat lid.      'There is another poster (chief)..  what he did was take his existing barrel lid and welded it to a dome lid, then after that he cut out the bottom.

I'm going that way...by getting a spare lid i'll take one of them and do what chief did.    In your case if you have to cut off the top then Davids way is the way to go. 

That premade one should do just fine. Its 13ga. but it will last awhile. I just did not want to spend that much money on one..

Thanks for the help guys, I want to get started on this thing.

This type smoker can be a real pain if you do not want to spend to much money on your build.. I am trying to see how cheap I can get by with..

That premade one should do just fine. Its 13ga. but it will last awhile. I just did not want to spend that much money on one..
I don't want to spend the cash either but it looks like a good one.

Big Poppa Smoker has one too for around 50 bucks.

Hey Roller when you go to make yours look into "weber" type of air vents...IMO they should work very well and would be simpler to control then ball valves and nipples to cap off. 

My kit came with these which i like also...the only installation is drilling some holes and screwing it on. 
Either type of vent controls can be bought separate. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky