My take on "Pickled Mustard Seed" ( Caviar ) On a Mozza Burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
So this is my take on Pickled Mustard Seed or Mustard Caviar

There are quite a few different ways to do this , and I know it was done here before but a little different. I found all the ways had almost the same first ingredients and than it went quite a few ways depending on the taste and flavor you wanted . So here is mine

Ingredients:
1 cup Mustard seeds
1 1/2 cup Vinegar
1 cup Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dry mustard
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 cup Dark corn syrup ( I normally use Crown , but ran out )
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 cup water to help if it gets to thick before finished

( Like I said there are a few ways to do this , some like to boil the seeds 6 - 8 times in water before the cook to make them not bitter.
I do not do this as I do not find the seeds bitter and I think that just boils out the flavor... That's just me ).
Some people also like to soak the seeds in a bowl with the flavors they want for a couple days at room temp.
This way works for me.

1.JPG

So here we go:
Add the vinegar, corn syrup and brown sugar, stir until the sugar is dissolved . Add the seeds and rest of the spices.
Bring to full boil on high for approx. 5 minutes. Try to stir constantly as this boils like porridge and it splashes.

Now simmer on low for about 15 - 20 minutes keep stirring often as it will still bubble.

2.JPG
3.JPG

I said simmer on low for 15 - 20 minutes but it might take a little longer. Just keep checking the seeds to see if they are tender to eat, if they kind of pop when you bite them.
If not ready and the sauce seems to be too thick just add the water as needed , or you can add more vinegar. When the seeds pop nice and the sauce stays on your spoon when held on edge it is ready.

This batch made a little over 2 and a half 250 mil bottles. I did not do a water bath because I know i am putting in my fridge and using in the next couple weeks, It will last in fridge for quite a long time.
I am going to make a larger batch and i will be processing it in the canning bath , as Christmas is coming and I normally do up a few preserve gifts for folks. Plus Mona likes to give my S4!T away...lol

4.JPG
5.JPG

Now I was tasting along the way , so I had to make some smash burgers with mozza , fries and gravy.

These are good on a lot of meats and even fish, again that's me
You can change the flavor with different ingredients , ie: some like Ale, or honey hot peppers , malt or cider vinegar . It is endless Can make it as sweet or hot as you like .
So here's my supper

6.JPG
7.JPG

Thanks for looking , Hope you give it a try.

David

Last edited:
Thanks Travis for the like and the comment

It is great , this one has a flavor like bread and butter pickles , you can make it to what ever flavor you like ,
Maple , hot etc. by just changing items , except for the vinegar

Thanks

David

Interesting David . Never heard of this before .
I like the " stuff " on the bottom of the burger too .
Thanks for posting .

Looks really good from my screen David, Sorry I have to say the gravy fries kept catching my eye. That is my favorite way of having fries.

Point for sure
Chris

Interesting David . Never heard of this before .
I like the " stuff " on the bottom of the burger too .
Thanks for posting .

Thanks chopsaw for the like and the comment

Yes new to me this year also, but good on a lot of things, just a refreshing different condiment for many things.
Yes lettuce tomato and sweet pickles I like also. One way to get my salads

David

Looks really good from my screen David, Sorry I have to say the gravy fries kept catching my eye. That is my favorite way of having fries.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

It's really refreshing , mine tasts like my bread and butter pickles

Me also , i can make a meal out of just fries and gravy

David

Reactions: gmc2003
David, that plate shot looks fantastic. I learned from this forum to put the lettuce under the burger. Also, I'm with Chris on those gravy fries, yum!

Ive never seen anything like this. Looks good...JJ

Ive never seen anything like this. Looks good...JJ

Hi chef thanks for the comment.

I have see it around different places this year so I wanted to try it. It is like a condiment that can be used on many different things, and you can make the flavor to what you would like . The seeds turn out like tapioca balls that pop when you bite them, or some say caviar but I have never had caviar so not sure .

David

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Add another one to the never seen or heard of it club but definitely going on the gotta try that list! Great looking burger and love the gravy fries!

Ryan

Nice addition to the burger, but gravy fries....now that's in the league with fries and ice cream!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky