My first UDS build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gatewood iron

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Morganfield,Ky
Well, I had to do it. I found this old drum laying around and seemed in decent condition other than serface rust so  I decided to build my first UDS.

more tomorrow!

Looks-Great.gif

Big Lew BBQ

Also when you take the lid off do whatever you need to do and get the lid back on as fast as you can .

Close the inlets before you remove the lid.
Also when you take the lid off do whatever you need to do and get the lid back on as fast as you can .
That is one of the Ugliest Drum Smokers I have ever seen! Aren't they great though? I'm typing with a belly-full of spare ribs and beans I did today in mine.

I get mine started with the racks on a table beside the drum. I load the racks with the meat, open the lid and get the racks in ASAP! When I need to foil or whatever, I open the drum, remove the entire rack to the table and close the lid. This gives me plenty of time to foil and re-arrange things. The meat isn't going to cool at all, and it helps to keep the smoker temps down. An open lid is basically a big lungfull of air for the fire..

Good Job!

Thanks Pit4Brains. I like the name. I 've cooked alot of chops and some burgers and a few steaks. The tips you guys give are working great. Now my wife is trying to take it over after seeing all the fun I'm having sitting out back,drinking beer and watchin birds and stuff. I may have to make her one.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky