My first time making pork belly burnt ends...here we go.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
Whole pork bellys were on sale this week at my local big box grocery store so I indulged and picked one that looked good and cut it up into bacon size slabs for bacon and kept the funkiest shaped slab to make my first batch of burnt ends. I picked up a nice cooling rack that fits the PB820 perfectly, cubed and seasoned the pork and put them on at 225* at 3pm. I used a mixture of rubs I have, I'll leave them for 3 or 4 hours then bump to 250* and see how they look. Into foil pouches or a covered foil pan for an hour or so then back on with a glaze, I have a feeling Jack Daniels will be called into service (for the glaze, although a shot wouldn't hurt either) along with brown sugar and some homemade plum jam and maybe a little hot sauce, I'll play around a bit with a sample.

More later. I'm still smoking/drying peppers in the neighboring MES30 as well.

Cheers

IMG_5255.JPG

IMG_5256.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a solid plan. I'm in for the ride.

Chris

Love me some burnt ends, in for the finish, and eating :emoji_yum:

You are lucky that you can have your smokers that close to the doors and windows. Mona asked ( made ) me build a shack away from the open summer windows, lol

David

I think I'll be doing my first pork belly burnt ends this weekend as well. There's just the two of us, and flip a coin whether she'll eat any, so I might just 1/2 and cure the rest for bacon.

Still looking around the recipes to see what looks good.

Success!

I took them off after 3.5 hours, may have been on a little long but after another hour covered in foil and with some cranberry juice and chipotle raspberry sauce they softened up nicely. Just 10 minutes with the foil and smoker off just to glaze them and it was dinner time.

And yes, having the smokers where I want them is awesome, you are only seeing part of the deck, there are 4 other smokers and grills around the corner. :emoji_astonished:

Lessons learned, for me a longer smoke time at lower temp, make more, and make more.

Mmmmm

IMG_5262.jpeg

Cheers

They sure look good.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky