My first time at making Lebanon Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RRR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
My baby helping mix the ingredients and the meat!
DDD3F72F-EDC8-4EAB-B1CF-EEAEE6293C65.jpeg
8FD39FFB-89FA-4A13-B9C3-ABE428797B60.jpeg

Finished product will smoke it in the a.m.

Here is what I went by, copy and paste!

This well known American sausage has its roots in the town of Lebanon, Pennsylvania, where it was made by German settlers. Lebanon Bologna is a semi-dry, fermented, heavily smoked, all-beef sausage which is not cooked. The traditional process (no starter cultures) calls for curing beef at (40-43º F) for 10 days.

Ingredients
Beef 2.20 lbs
salt. 5 tsp.
Cure #1 ½ tsp.
sugar, 3%. 6 tsp.
dextrose (glucose), 0.3% ½ tsp.
pepper 1½ tsp.
allspice 1 tsp.
cinnamon 1 tsp.
cloves, ground ½ tsp.
ginger ⅓ tsp.

Instructions
  1. Curing. Grind beef with a large plate (3/4”, 20 mm), mix with salt, Cure #1 and sugar and keep for 10 days at 4-6º C (40-43º F).
  2. Grind cured beef through 1/8 - 3/16” (3-5 mm) plate.
  3. Mix ground meat with all ingredients.
  4. Stuff sausage mix into 40-120 mm casings. Natural beef middles, collagen or fibrous casings. The larger casings are tied and stockinetted or laced with butcher twine for support as this is a large and heavy sausage.
  5. Cold smoke for 4-8 days at < 22º C, 72º F, 85% humidity.
  6. For a drier sausage: dry at 16-12º C (60-54º F), 85-80% humidity.
  7. Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), < 75% humidity.
Notes
Final pH: around 4.2-4.4, water activity 0.93-0.96, it is a moist sausage but extremely stable due to its low final pH. The sausage is often left for 3 days at 4-6º C (40-43º F) for additional ripening. The sausage was traditionally cold smoked for 7 days in winter months and 4 days in the summer.

I will be smoking it in the a.m.

Looks good, my wife is from Tarlac city and I hope to someday teach my in laws how to smoke meats and start up a business. Nice to see filipinos on this forum, is there a local place where you get casings and curing salts?

Looks good, my wife is from Tarlac city and I hope to someday teach my in laws how to smoke meats and start up a business. Nice to see filipinos on this forum, is there a local place where you get casings and curing salts?

Many of us just use the Internet. I ordered my Prague Powder through Walmart, home delivered.

I do, because I live in La-La Land.
If the fast food places shut down around me, half the idiots would starve to death sitting in their cars in line.
Yep. They are that dumb.

Casings I order online also. Some ship great, some are stuck in a rut and really could care less.
They... never get a reorder.
Good ones, I keep bookmarked.

Reactions: RRR
112278D3-91B6-474F-A33C-F4B2D8131DD2.jpeg
Many of us just use the Internet. I ordered my Prague Powder through Walmart, home delivered.

If the fast food places shut down around me, half the idiots would starve to death sitting in their cars in line.
Yep. They are that dumb.

Casings I order online also. Some ship great, some are stuck in a rut and really could care less.
Most

Yep. They are that dumb.

of the sp
Never had it, but after I saw it, I want to make it!!! Thanks for sharing

Thought I would send you a picture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky