My first smoker.... stainless

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
About other projekt, i love to fish and hunt. So i start for a couple of yers to manufacture some bait. Thanks "us"  for the jerkbait its very fun to fish northern pike with this thing. Family whith yours musky. maybe little off topic ,but here is some picture....
9505a02a_232061.jpg
415c44dc_262311.jpg
02683e9c_276181.jpg
4e43079e_291321.jpg
1a2c4aaf_424121.jpg
2b78e783_764051.jpg
6a99bebe_538121.jpg

That is one awesome smoker!

I wonder how long I'd have to keep my wife tied up in the basement before

she agreed it was nice enough to keep in the house?

I would love to see some of your other work

He shouldn't need it with stainless. That's the whole idea. He sure did make a nice looking smoker though. Very nice.

I used T304 stainless tubing to build what are called rock sliders for my off road vehicle. The idea was so they would never to need paint or servicing. So far after about 10 years of rock crawling abuse, they are still just holding up just fine. Scratched, scarred and even dented here and there from all the abuse yes but still not one speck of rust.

Stainless is also much tougher and stronger than most other steel alloys in common use. It really takes a lot of force to bend the stuff, even the 2" OD, 0.120 wall stuff I used. I broke a bending die in a bender just bending up some 1.5" OD tubing. The only things to watch for are that the stuff is a bit harder to work with and it's getting really expensive to buy the materials. It's so expensive now I don't think I could afford to buy and use the small quantity the way I did before.

Aside from the toughness, it work hardens in an instant when you try drilling or cutting it. Although I found WD40 to be a good cutting lubricant for machining the stuff.

Also most of the flat stock has a grain that you have to pay close attention to when bending or it will crack. That is unless it has been normalized or annealed first. Of course annealed material would cost even more.

Stainless does however yield a much better finished product and it should easlily last a life time of normal use. However, I shutter to even think of what he built would cost if it were bought and sold commercially in the retail market. It would not be cheap but still well worth every last red cent of the price tag.

Flua, I've been checking this out over the past few weeks and I also have to say you did an OUTSTANDING JOB! and should receive an award of excellence!  Maybe something like an Academy Award for Smoker Building!   You would receive the first one, then from here on out every year we would elect a new winner.  I'm sure you have definitely inspired quite a few people to go out and do what it takes to build their signature smoker to the best of their ability to receive the award next year and the after that.  You have my vote!  If anyone out there could tell me how to give Flua points I would greatly appreciate it, I think he really deserves them. 

Flua, the one thing you should try to work on so you can really start to enjoy the food coming off your smoker would be to try and achieve "Thin Blue Smoke a.k.a. TBS"  This is sooo important.  Thick White Smoke does not smell, or taste nearly as good as TBS.  Check out this forum for how to achieve TBS  it usually has to do with making sure you do not smother the fire and make sure their is enough oxygen to support the wood you have smoking.  Good Luck and again, Congrats! 

f453d415_SmokingRibsTBS2.jpg

Last edited:
"Alelover" about nascar we have a swede Mattias ekström. He drives audi in the german series DTM. Proberly he is on the way to us for nascar.....

http://community.nascar.com/team_24_48/blog/2010/06/20/jan_magnussen_and_mattias_ekström.

Flua

Ahh, dairy/brewery industry. That explains a lot. I have a friend that welded my all grain homebrew system together. He worked in dairy equipment before working in NASCAR. 13 years and they still look like they were welded yesterday. I have a feeling yours will fare the same.

Since we have points no more, the only thing I have come to do at times is click the thumbs up tab at the bottom of the post. I always go to the first post when I choose to add to the ratings, not sure if it works back to the original post if its clicked from another post within the original thread.

I have to second the idea of nominating Flua for the Academy Award for Smoker Building!

Glad to hear the salmon turned out good for ya Flua.

Hey "John-z"  Hmmm Minnesota its a long tripp  .perhaps

a have future in US as smoke builder (in stainless)
icon_cry.gif
. actully the first one is the hardest to to. But its a hell of a work  But concurrent fun...
Very nice! How much to deliver one of those to me in northern Minnesota?

Looks Great!!! Are you going to sell them??? Might be interested in a steel version...

I would like to know more about your smoke generator?  got any plans for it? how does it work?    thanks  MIKE

After the last smoking lessan that need a proper cleaning. The smokegenarator works realy well, with the tube full it smokes about 5 houres, and the smoke is realy cold... very satiesfied..

Flua
9fc01ced_IMG_0007.jpg
fc89f757_IMG_0006.jpg
c1e28968_IMG_0014.jpg
97557d66_IMG_0002.jpg

Reactions: bikercowboy
After the last smoking lessan that need a proper cleaning. The smokegenarator works realy well, with the tube full it smokes about 5 houres, and the smoke is realy cold... very satiesfied..

Flua
9fc01ced_IMG_0007.jpg
fc89f757_IMG_0006.jpg
c1e28968_IMG_0014.jpg
97557d66_IMG_0002.jpg
Now I have a new question:

How did you get permission to build your house in the middle of a golf course, in the middle of a green???

Bear

Flua,

I've been watching this build and can't say enough. I'm glad to see it finished, but sad that there will be no more build pics. Congrats. on an absolutely gorgeous smoker.

I'm almost ashamed of my electric Brinkman.

I second Bear's comment.

The smoker looks stunning, shining in all it's glory out in the sun.

But that almost looks like artificial turf it's so green.

Great build, it was fun to check in to see how things were progressing.

Would love to see some of the other stuff you made,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky