My First Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nathan.UK

Original poster
May 6, 2020
Hi,
My names Nathan and I’m a smoking virgin. I’ve always wanted a smoker so decided to build my own (picture attached) I’m just about ready to embark on my first smoke and have watched a few videos on how to set up my coals and water etc. However is there anything in particular anyone would recommend smoking for the first time rather than going for the full on overnight brisket (which I’m dying to do) also can anyone offer any advice on tips, tricks to help me on my way and also common mistakes to watch out for. I’m using Webber bbq charcoal briquettes and Jack Daniels wood chips as my fuel. And was planning on using Guinness if I smoked beef or apple juice or cider if I was smoking pork instead of the usual water.

Attachments

• 93A4D331-DEA9-4652-83C8-A37328271D00.jpeg
    93A4D331-DEA9-4652-83C8-A37328271D00.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 27
Welcome aboard, drink the beer and use plain old water for the heat sink and fat catcher , keep the fire low on the first cook or 2 till you see how well it heats, creep up on your target temp. good luck let us know how it goes

Welcome to the site Nathan. Congratulations on a great looking smoker build.

Chicken is a cheap way of learning how a new smoker is going to behave.

I'm with Mike on saving the Guinness for drinking, (Unless it's cheaper than water, over there).

Looking forward to pictures of your smoker in action.

Butt, pork. Very forgiving and it will scratch that itch of doing an overnight or all day smoke if you insist :-)

That's a very nice smoker btw. Have you tested it without any meat in it yet? That would be my first suggestion. Figure out how it runs, how it manages temps, how much fuel to use etc before putting anything in it. That way when it's all over the place temp wise, you won't be so stressed out that your meat.is going to pot inside.

Congrats Nathan!!!

I just "popped my cherry" This past Sunday and it was all kinds of stressful

I wish I would have talked to the folks on here first but I am a "gung Ho" typa gal and just did it...
Listen to the folks on here they have lots of experience!!!

Reactions: Nathan.UK
Butt, pork. Very forgiving and it will scratch that itch of doing an overnight or all day smoke if you insist :-)

That's a very nice smoker btw. Have you tested it without any meat in it yet? That would be my first suggestion. Figure out how it runs, how it manages temps, how much fuel to use etc before putting anything in it. That way when it's all over the place temp wise, you won't be so stressed out that your meat.is going to pot inside.
Hey,
Yeah I’ve given it a burn with hardwood just to help with curing the paint and also before I did the final clean inside. It gets HOT! I think I will try pork in it for my first run and maybe some beef ribs. At the moment though I keep tinkering with it and adding bits lol. Just added some handles and am now welding some bars into the lid so I can hang things.

Congrats Nathan!!!

I just "popped my cherry" This past Sunday and it was all kinds of stressful

I wish I would have talked to the folks on here first but I am a "gung Ho" typa gal and just did it...
Listen to the folks on here they have lots of experience!!!
It’s good that stuff like this exists for people like us. Congratulations on your first smoke. How did it go?

First thing I'd do is get a good thermometer :emoji_wink: The one you have looks nice but I'd be willing to bet it isn't anywhere close to accurate. Of course you can check it with ice water and boiling water but those types of thermometers are historically VERY inaccurate.

They have you covered on everything else,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky