My First Pulled Pork ...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

friedboudinball

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
US - Dirty South
Meat:  7 # Boston Butt ... part of a twin pack at $0.99 per pound

Rub:  I leveraged this from somewhere on this board...my apologies for not giving them appropriate credit:
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 2 Tbs black pepper
  • 1 Tbs lemon pepper
  • 1 Tbs ground cumin
  • 1 Tbs garlic powder
  • 1 Tbs onion powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne, chipotle, or chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground sage
Apparatus:  Master Forge Propane Smoker

Smoking medium:  Hickory Chunks, soaked for at least 1 hour in water.  Some hickory chips, but definitely prefer the chunks.

Targeted 225 F.  

Began Smoking at 5:30 AM.  Maintained the temp for most of the duration, though a brief storm blew my fire out and had to restart.  Fortunately, i was outside when this happened to catch it quickly.  I don't recall the exact time but i double wrapped in foil at 160 F.  This was about 7.5 hours later.

About 6 hours later i hit the 205 mark, and rested it for one hour in cooler.  Upon opening of foil:

The bone pulled right out!

Pulled pork ... this was as good of pork as i've ever eaten, especially when fresh!

Close up:

Flavor was great and well received.  Not sure how to get more bark, but it was dang good what was there!  Thanks to this forum for helping me out!

WOW....that's a great deal on Butts!

It looks perfect, nice smoke ring, great bark.........you did an awesome job 
drool.gif

Thanks for sharing your Qview 
thumb1.gif

Awesome smoke ring and color...looks like you hit a home run on your first attempt!!! If you want more bark don't foil your butt just smoke until it hits 205...then rest it for a hour or so before pulling.
Beer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky