my first loooong cook on my WSM 18 12 hour boston butt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
This could be a longer post but I'll spare you the details of challenges of the cook. ask away if curious.
My research told me this was going to be about 12-14 hour task, including wrap and rest. I need to pull and plate in time for a Sunday Race and afternoon football game. I was concerned about that long of cook time with the charcoal capacity of the WSM18, but had read I could make it. I still cook with the water bowl full, because it told me to in the instructions and all of my previous cooks have gone well. (5-6 hour ribs and such).
I knew this was going to be an all night cook with me, and my good friend Capt. Morgan.
Previously have been spoiled with long consistent temp cooks on my gravity 560.
fast forward. did a minion type start, filled water bowl and set an #inkbird probe at cooking grate level and one for the butt. She settled in at round 240., then i threw in 4 chunks of apple and one hickory. Had a spritz bottle ith 50/50 ACV and apple juice. it was on. all went well for about 8 hours when i dicovered a small temp drop and knocked the ash off the coals and added a handful (not knowing).
the stall was an excruciating 2 1/2 hour when it hit 160. Temps maintained fairly well. sprtized a couple times, more so after the stall when bark was forming.
End of story. hit 199 at 10:30 am Sunday morning. double checked with instant read probe. pulled and wrapped in peach and put in in cooler. nap time.
Sorry for babbling. this by far the best butt I have ever cooked, or eaten. Thebark took on a nice sweetish flavor from the spritz.. When cooled i took my time dismembering and was rewarded with a sweet money muscle that was begging to be sliced and a tupperware full of shredded goodness. O course i whipped up a fresh batch of Carolina sauce.
Thank you for listening.
pics for my gratification.

butt resize.jpg

butt halves.jpg

money muscle.jpg

butt shred.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job!
That is some fine looking PP.
We like ours that way too, big chunks, and only pull by hand! :emoji_thumbsup:
Al

Nice job!
That is some fine looking PP.
We like ours that way too, big chunks, and only pull by hand! :emoji_thumbsup:
Al
I pull by hand, but for some unexplainable reason, I had a serious case of the munchies. The shred pile got scarfed first, then rest for the pitmaster and clean the bone and maybe a little chop. The bestest is the dark shred immediately under the bone.

I pull by hand, but for some unexplainable reason, I had a serious case of the munchies. The shred pile got scarfed first, then rest for the pitmaster and clean the bone and maybe a little chop. The bestest is the dark shred immediately under the bone.
Oh yea that dark red meat

Looks good! You did good!

I have a WSM 22 (had the 18 but upgraded) and never use water in pan. I just cover the pan with aluminum foil. Also, I put my wood chucks on the bottom, then pour a bag of briquettes on top of that. The pictures below will show a big split of cherry wood on the bottom. This has worked for me with awesome results. Basically set it and forget it. And remember, the pork shoulder (boston butt) has plenty of fat not to dry out.

IMG_2680.jpeg
IMG_2681.jpeg
IMG_2681.jpeg

Nice job John. Linda is all forgiven on the new purchase after that fantastic smoke?

I almost smoked a butt over the weekend, but decided to freeze and do it in a couple of weeks.
I made a couple batches of my loaded breakfast sausages instead.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky