My Attempt at Souvlakia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
So after seeing BandCollector BandCollector 's thread about souvlakia, like others, I added it to my list... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/Σουβλάκια-souvlakia-greek-shish-kebab.313825/

I used pork and have it marinating in the refrigerator overnight tonight for its date tomorrow with the grill. I followed John's recipe exactly...
20220329_170452[1].jpg

But I have a question about the tomatoes, onions, etc. used in this picture...
1648588170472.png

How were these prepared? Were they marinated, grilled, etc.? Just seasoned? OK, that was 3 questions...

Reactions: tx smoker
So after seeing BandCollector BandCollector 's thread about souvlakia, like others, I added it to my list... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/Σουβλάκια-souvlakia-greek-shish-kebab.313825/

I used pork and have it marinating in the refrigerator overnight tonight for its date tomorrow with the grill. I followed John's recipe exactly...
View attachment 627572

But I have a question about the tomatoes, onions, etc. used in this picture...
View attachment 627573

How were these prepared? Were they marinated, grilled, etc.? Just seasoned? OK, that was 3 questions...
Vegetables were not marinated. Just cut up lettace onions and tomatoes. I added some fresh oregiano to mine

Good luck and enjoy,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Well I got it done yesterday afternoon and everyone loved it. This will stay on the list for sure. One thing that I did per a suggestion from my wife was to make Greek style potatoes. After looking at a couple of recipes online, I realized that the marinade for the meat would work pretty much as is. So instead of throwing it out, I peeled and cut up a few potatoes and tossed them in the marinade. In a baking dish into a 350℉ oven for about hour or so until they were tender stirring occasionally...
20220330_170457[1].jpg

Thank you BandCollector BandCollector for the recipe...

Time to eat...
20220330_181025[1].jpg

Wow Charles, you nailed it buddy. Beautiful job my friend. I love the idea of the potatoes but as much as I love that is the addition of the kalamata olives (at least I assume they are kalamatas). Brilliant idea.

No question that John ( BandCollector BandCollector ) posted a true winner with this one. Several people have made it and every one has raved. Can't argue with success like that :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Thank you, Robert. Sharp eye there my friend, yes those are Kalamata olives and were my wife's idea. This is a keeper recipe for me and since several have posted their successes with it, I only posted about the potatoes which were also my wife's idea...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky