My 2nd ( really first ) Porkstrami , and I must say Glad I did it twice, Only took a little over a month to do.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
My 2nd ( really first ) Porkstrami , and I must say Glad I did it twice. Only took little over a month. lol

Calling it my second as the first batch went out with the dead fridge, so here is my how I did it.

Thanks given to Wayne thirdeye thirdeye for his process as I followed it pretty close , and to others who I have been reading on their how to's also.
and of coarse Pop for his brine.

3 Pork loins total of 6.152 pounds. Into a gal of Pop's brine with some toasted pickling spice .
Toasted 1/3 cup of pickling spice , added 1/2 of the water and simmered for half hour until all the spice and sugar and salt were dissolved.
added the rest of the water and let that cool in fridge for the night. Next day added the cure #1. Added the 3 loins and into the fridge for 14 days - that turned into 17 as very busy with everything going on trying to get all our ducks in a row with the new property on ( May 21st )

1.JPG 2.JPG

After the long soak and the stir everyday ( plus keeping an eye on the new fridge ) pull out and rinse off and pat dry.
Gather up all the spices for the Porkstrami rub, and coarse grind the whole seeds and bay leaf pieces, mix and coat
the loins well and into the fridge for 1 night ( turned into 2 nights of coarse )

3.JPG 4.JPG

5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG
8.JPG

9.JPG

Off to the smoker set at 230+/- deg. with cherry chunks. 2 took 3 3/4 hours to reach 146* IT and the bigger one took 4 1/2 hours

Brought into the house for a nice Steam bath in a pot with 2 litres of beef broth ( thought I had veggy broth , beef will do. )
Probed tender and temp was 200*.
THE HOUSE SMELLED WONDERFUL, :emoji_yum::emoji_yum::emoji_sunglasses:

10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG

13.JPG

Of coarse I had to cut one and sample ....which turned into a few slices. :emoji_wink:

14.JPG
15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

This is just wonderful, tender and very tasty. Someone told me SHE found it too peppery for her , but her mom loved it . LOL :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:

Let cool for about an hour , then wrapped and into the fridge for the night to meet the slicer tomorrow.

Gave an almost 1 pound piece to my buddy at the contractors desk at the building supply store , as he gives me good pricing on everything he can. God love him. :emoji_sunglasses:

Last night i pulled out the slicer and vac machine and went to work, slicing picking at it and bagging it up.

AND i caught my loving wife who said it is too hot/peppery sneaking not 1 but 2 slices, go figure. Love her. :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_wink:

18.JPG 19.JPG

20.JPG 21.JPG
Made 11 - 4 oz. packs not counting what I gave away and snacked on.
I am very happy with this batch of Porkstrami. I will do this again before the freezer stock runs out. I did notice Mona's sister grabbed a couple packs after she had a few slices. Thats what it is all about. Happy folks.

And speaking of Happy here is my breakfast today

A nice Cheese and onion bun with 4+ oz of fresh steamed ( in the microwave with few drops of water in a zip bag not closed ) Porkstrami
with a big spoonful of some Honey & Tarragon mustard, ( I have to make some more of my Mustard seed Caviar )

Nice hot wake me up breakfast. This was so moist and tender, and the flavour out of this world good.

22.JPG

23.JPG

well folks that is a wrap , and I know it was very long , but I have not posted for a while . so thought I would bore the crap out of you , LOL

If you are not sure about using Pork loin for this , I can tell you . It is well worth it . Next time going to do a shoulder I hope.

Have a good long weekend everyone

David

Attachments

• 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
Very nice. Thanks for the detailed post too. I need to add another to-do to my list if I ever get some more free time. Thinking 3 more years 'til retirement...

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nicely done! So the lean pork worked out texture wise? That and honey tarragon mustard? I gotta find some of that.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nice David! I've only done it with fattier pork, I think pork loin strami will have to be something I do in the near future.

Thanks Jack for the like and the comment

I thought so also about maybe not enough fat in a loin. But when I read Wayne's thirdeye thirdeye posts, I said I will try.
I am so glad that I did, and a pork shoulder might be my next try.

David

Very nice. Thanks for the detailed post too. I need to add another to-do to my list if I ever get some more free time. Thinking 3 more years 'til retirement...

Thanks Eddie for the like and the comment

Ha ha , it was a long post , but I try to show all the steps. I really like to show the whole process. Because when others post that way it helps me to follow for when I want to try their way.

I know what you mean about adding to the list that never gets smaller.

David

Keep on boring the crap out us David. That porkstrami looks fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Thats me in a nut shell, boring people to death, lol.
It was a great experiment for me ( 2nd time around ) and it turned out very nice .
Loved the flavour in the whole thing

David

Wonder how long it would take to get that sammich thro customs? Man it looks great.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the comment

It is wonderful Jim , hard to not just keep eating by the slices, but really nice in a sandwich also.

I would love to send some things across, but seems to get snagged at the inspection stations.
They say they have to inspect for quality control, :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: , never seems to get any further, lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Nicely done! So the lean pork worked out texture wise? That and honey tarragon mustard? I gotta find some of that.

Thanks Chris for the love and the comment.

Yes the loins worked very well texture wise, just pulls apart very nice and tender , not like beef pastrami
that I find has a little more of a tug to it with all the fat and sinu to it.
As for the mustard, a friend just gave me that the other day, and glad he did. They are a small bakery about 3 hours from here. And it is fantastic. Reminds me of my Mustard seed caviar

David

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky