music

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pike

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
IOWA
need a thread on music, i mean before the rap junk
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
ARGGG
class of 1985 so i like 80's and befor.

what do you like?

Was there really any music in the 80's?
icon_confused.gif

I was pretty happy with most music until disco showed up - then I became a fan of what eventually became known as Americana or roots music.

Anything but rap, acid rock and the "ultra" heavy metal.

My mp3 has everything from 50's & 60's through present country; rock from Elvis -Eagles; some gospel; easy listening (James Taylor-Jack Johnson); and topped off with a few classical pieces and some Broadway show tunes.

I am huge Parrothead - Classic Rock and now Black Eyed Peas fan too

I tell my kids and grandkids all the time if you take the C out of CRAP you get Rap - LOL

Not much happened in the 80's as far as the music scene, most all the creative stuff ended in the mid 70's. After that it was just bands trying to make a buck rather then create art, then MTV came along and it all really went down hill.

Music for the most part is dead, You can find some good stuff coming out here and there, but you won't hear it on the radio or see it on TV. The record companies don't really promote anything but pop music for the untrained ears.

As far as country music goes, not really country anymore, it' also pop country for the most part, You have a few artist that try to keep the tradition going, but very few.If you go back in time and listen to some of the byrds, Poco the dead and other rock group you can find some excellent country music that is better country then what is coming out now.

JMO

I agree with your assessment of TV and radio in relation to music. But I thoroughly disagree that music for the most part is dead. I think there is WAY better music being made today than than there was years ago and current artists are not only after the almighty dollar, they're creating great music. You just have to dig a little more to find it, because you're not going to hear it on the radio. But that's a problem with radio, not with music.

I also think good music is out there and like you said you have to dig a little deeper to find it, The music companies don't really support good music or promote it like they do popular music you hear on the radio.

I like to listen to the university stations, they play some good music of all types,

HUGE music fan here-with a vast collection to boot.theres a ton of good music being made-as you say just need to know where to find.if your lucky enough to pick up community radio through the waves or unlike me over the net you will find.I also swap with friends and others online and not.a member here knows my love of music and we trade items for tunes from time to time.Maybe a new exchange program idea?

Pretty much the same here. I do listen to music off the internet, seems to be a lot less commercal time. I now attend more concerts, where before I just bought the music.

First I would have to say Jimmy Buffet and then I have to go to the islands and run with Bob Marley and the Wailers and just about all old Reggae music.

I'm all over the map musically - except for hard core rap and serious head banging rock - never could get into it, other then that - I'm good. Well, except if it was recorded after 1990 - I probably haven't heard it - don't listen to the radio much, so I don't get the exposure to the new stuff.

Both kinds of music, country and western!

I am musically diverse. Being in my later 40's, I grew up at the tail end of great rock. I've been a DJ since the early 80's and pretty much cannot stand anything that I play on a regular basis.

I will say that my oldest son (a drummer), is really into metal (death, nu, metalcore, etc.) While I can't understand hardly any of the lyrics, I kinda like the music. The concerts are, well, interesting to say the least. I DJ a large rock crawling event once a year and can play some of this music.

Sadly, when alone in the car, it's talk radio.

You probably know this already but Hank Williams 3rd has the exact same feelings as you on this subject! And he has a new release coming on May 25! Parental guidance on those lyrics, Boys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky