Mulberry wood with some poison ivy... Use it after debarking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zippy12

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 6, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
neighbor cut this 3 weeks ago...

saw the berries for the last 7 years..

should I use it?
20180813_194037.jpg

Don't see any poison on it. Never heard anyone using mulberry but I think it would be fine. Smoke from poison ivy can give poison ivy rash.

Yup looking again and I do see some vine on some pieces.

Warren

I’ve never touched poison ivy or seen it in person but I have been in more poison oak than I care for.

I don’t know if they are same family or not but the trees I cut would laying in the stuff. I had to cut vines off with saw. No issues cooking, splitting or stacking.

The saw dust from the poison oak left s good reminder of where I had been though. Does poison ivy grow out of the tree? Or is it a separate bush?

Now I can’t get the dang song out of head.

Like Flatbroke, seen more Poison Oak than I care to remember.
But never been in the East enough to get into any poison Ivy.
I've gotten poison oak so bad it was inside me.
And you can get it from the dormant sticks in the winter. It's the oil that irritates.
Brush fire fighters have to be careful not to inhale the smoke from burning patches of Poison Oak.

My vote would be No Thank You.

I’ve never touched poison ivy or seen it in person but I have been in more poison oak than I care for.

I don’t know if they are same family or not but the trees I cut would laying in the stuff. I had to cut vines off with saw. No issues cooking, splitting or stacking.

The saw dust from the poison oak left s good reminder of where I had been though. Does poison ivy grow out of the tree? Or is it a separate bush?

Poison Ivy is a vine and grows outside of the tree. I did inspect the site where the tree was cut this morning and saw no leaves of three! but I will worse case this to be on the safe side...

I would use it bark and all after removing the vines in the picture.

One characteristic of poison ivy, especially older vines climbing on a tree, is the small rootlets that function to support it. Other vines that are similar in appearance don't have these rootlets. Check the base of the tree where the vine would be the oldest and largest for this characteristic.

As for smoking meat with mulberry, it's good.

800px-Poison_ivy_vine.jpg

Thanks for the picture... I did not see anything that mature and I do know honey suckle grew in this tree because my kids used to harvest the flowers. so it may be just HS vines....

My vote is NO! You might get it just trying to get rid of the bark. The oil from the vine will stick to the saw! Just use the wood that’s above the vine, not the trunk of the tree. Put a logging chain around the trunk and drag it around on the pavement to grind off that
Wrechet vine! Ok, my skin is crawling now!!! I get it bad!

Reactions: zippy12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky